What's new

NewAir 281e question

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have been saving up now for about a month and I dropped some coin on a NewAir 281e and it will arrive next week. I purchased it from the Air n Water site for $155 new. I was told to buy the largest I can afford and I did. Then I decided to read on humidification and I have been reading that unless you have it filled up to at least 75% that humidification will be troublesome. What??? Thats alot of cigars man. Not that its a bad thing but dang, I cant fill that right now. THis will be a very gradual process for me at the moment so If I am going to keep it :) then I need advice.

I know I am not the only one here who has been in this situation. What can I do to regulate this beast or should I return it and try for a smaller 18 bottle?

I plan on getting KL for this setup if that helps.

Thanks brothers

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I had a little trouble when I first started, when the thing was empty.. I am noticing that the more full, the easier going it is.. BUT, aside from having almost nothing in there, you shouldn't have much in the way of issues.. if you have a desktop humidor box, use it like a tray to store singles, and it'll help fill the dead space that's causing the issues.. until you can fill it up proper.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
How many bovedas should I aim for. I currently have a large 69% one and (3) 65%. A desktop humi I dont have. I was using a tupperdor. Can I just use cigar boxes?

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Cigar boxes are preferred.. I'm making due with 6, 69s in mine, you MIGHT be able to go with less, but they'll dry out pretty quickly.. i plan to get several extras, because more is always better with boveda, IMO.. and don't mix Rh %.. they'll work against each other.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Here's what I would do: just keep using your tupperdores. Put a Boveda in each one, and put those into the wine cooler. Use the wine cooler for temp control, and control the rh inside each tupperdore. That will make it very easy until you grow the stash to the point where you need the whole wineador area.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Here's what I would do: just keep using your tupperdores. Put a Boveda in each one, and put those into the wine cooler. Use the wine cooler for temp control, and control the rh inside each tupperdore. That will make it very easy until you grow the stash to the point where you need the whole wineador area.
You guys love to make things complicated don't you? Go eat some peas.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I use tupperwares to store the sticks in using the wine racks the wino came with. Ill change to SC drawers/shelves in due time, but what others have told me that using cigar boxes (usually spanish cedar) helps reach and maintain rh regardless of number of sticks in the wino.
My wino is only tupperware and cigars, rh is holding fine thankfully. btw, I'm using kitty litter as my humidification media, not boveda

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I use tupperwares to store the sticks in using the wine racks the wino came with. Ill change to SC drawers/shelves in due time, but what others have told me that using cigar boxes (usually spanish cedar) helps reach and maintain rh regardless of number of sticks in the wino.
My wino is only tupperware and cigars, rh is holding fine thankfully. btw, I'm using kitty litter as my humidification media, not boveda
why would you use KL in the wine cooler if you are storing your stogies in tupperwear?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
get 2lbs of beads and they will regulate humidity, even empty. I have some shelves (extra from mine) if you are interested, pm me (Forest shelves, I bought the one all done) or get some cabinet boxes from B&M, cedar will help control it

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
get 2lbs of beads and they will regulate humidity, even empty. I have some shelves (extra from mine) if you are interested, pm me (Forest shelves, I bought the one all done) or get some cabinet boxes from B&M, cedar will help control it
Tried PMing you but it says your profile is restricted. I cannot PM you. Is there another way I can?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think I am going to go the bead route. I will just have to buy in increments. Since I am impatient I decided to search for cheaper beads and I stumbled across these HERE. Anyone know if these are any good? They are $5 cheaper per pound.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I think I am going to go the bead route. I will just have to buy in increments. Since I am impatient I decided to search for cheaper beads and I stumbled across these HERE. Anyone know if these are any good? They are $5 cheaper per pound.
That is gel, it is like beads, but its not beads. From experience, you get what you pay for. I'd rather go with a trusted name brand.