What's new

OMG! Humidity

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Not to pile on, but pick one type of humidification device and stick with it. I prefer Boveda's because they're easy, but HF beads work well from what I've read.

Also, those look like mini boveda packs. Are you sure they aren't dried out? They should be "squishy".

If it were me, and it's not - so take this for what it's worth - I'd order a few large 65% Boveda from Amazon or somewhere and toss everything else. Based on that size humidor, 4-5 should be enough. Then just be patient, it might take a few days.

Also, can't hurt to calibrate your hydro.

Good luck.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Without calibration, we simply don't know where we're going...
Agreed. I put the hydrometer in a ziplock bag with a couple of those 69% Bovedas. It was 62% when I put them in and about an hour after it was steadily rising. It was at 67% when I left for work. I'll check when I get home toinght, but I'm thinking it's probably going to be dead on.

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Agreed. I put the hydrometer in a ziplock bag with a couple of those 69% Bovedas. It was 62% when I put them in and about an hour after it was steadily rising. It was at 67% when I left for work. I'll check when I get home toinght, but I'm thinking it's probably going to be dead on.
To be sure, let it sit in there for 24 hours. I had to do this with the Acurite that I have.
You never want to pull out too early ;)

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I ain't laughing at your pain, but when I scrolled the pix down and saw all those Bovedas, et.al, I choked on my Doritos! Put your sticks in a baggie and once you've made sure of your hygro, go ahead and re-season that box. I agree; stick with 2-way only and if it still doesn't read where it should, get a tupper!

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I don't like the look of how your lid meets the box. My humidor has a raised lip along the inside of the box edge so that it interlocks with the lid. Yours appears to be 2 flat surfaces that just butt together. I'm not seeing how that can make an airtight seal. I would suspect that is your main culprit.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I ain't laughing at your pain, but when I scrolled the pix down and saw all those Bovedas, et.al, I choked on my Doritos! Put your sticks in a baggie and once you've made sure of your hygro, go ahead and re-season that box. I agree; stick with 2-way only and if it still doesn't read where it should, get a tupper!
Haha. Yeah, all those little Boveda's came in my Small Batch orders this and last month. Was just throwing them in to see if I could raise the humidity.

As for the lip, it does have one. I need to do the paper test to see if that's the issue, but the brother I purchased it from was pretty anal with all of his stuff. I'm sure he seasoned it.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Haha. Yeah, all those little Boveda's came in my Small Batch orders this and last month. Was just throwing them in to see if I could raise the humidity.

As for the lip, it does have one. I need to do the paper test to see if that's the issue, but the brother I purchased it from was pretty anal with all of his stuff. I'm sure he seasoned it.
Damned if I can see a lip, but on the seasoning thing, it may need a re-fresh since you've been working with it.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Hydrometer was properly calibrated out of the box. It stayed at 69% with a couple of those Boveda's. Put it back in the humi before work today. I'll check it when I get home. Maybe I'll get some beads and see how those hold up.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is happening to me right now and I hope I dont have to re-season. Ive gotten about 15-20 new cigars in the last 2 weeks and my RH has dropped from 65ish to about 61-60. Ive taken some ciagrs out and put them in my travel humi and added another Boveda. I guess Ill hope for the best but I feel like I could use Mr. Wizard and his science right now. My only guess right now is maybe its attributed to lack of air movement? hence why I removed some cigars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 count that is practically full. I have a 5er coming in tomorrow that Ill prob have to put in some tupperware since I dont think Ill be able to get them in my humi.

I have two large %65 Bovedas in there and three small %69's in there from my small batch orders that I didnt want to just throw out. After reading through some of these threads today on RH Im thinking of ditching the 69's and adding a third large 65 to the mix.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
This is happening to me right now and I hope I dont have to re-season. Ive gotten about 15-20 new cigars in the last 2 weeks and my RH has dropped from 65ish to about 61-60. Ive taken some ciagrs out and put them in my travel humi and added another Boveda. I guess Ill hope for the best but I feel like I could use Mr. Wizard and his science right now. My only guess right now is maybe its attributed to lack of air movement? hence why I removed some cigars.
I believe that was my initial problem. To many dry cigars at one time. I've broken up all my cigars into ziplock bags with Boveda packs in them. They have been in there for the past 3 days. I've put my hydrometer in a couple of the bags to check the rh and most of them are holding steady at 66-69%. My humidors are holding steady at 70%. I'll probably give it another day or so before I put them back into their homes, just to make sure. A buddy of mine said that it takes 48 hours for the sticks to acclimate to a new humidity so they should be more than fine right now, just making sure though. haha.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I believe that was my initial problem. To many dry cigars at one time. I've broken up all my cigars into ziplock bags with Boveda packs in them. They have been in there for the past 3 days. I've put my hydrometer in a couple of the bags to check the rh and most of them are holding steady at 66-69%. My humidors are holding steady at 70%. I'll probably give it another day or so before I put them back into their homes, just to make sure. A buddy of mine said that it takes 48 hours for the sticks to acclimate to a new humidity so they should be more than fine right now, just making sure though. haha.
So if you had left them all in the humidor and waited a week, what do you think would have happened?

I really do think some of you are way too uptight with slight humidity changes and needlessly stress yourselves out.