What's new

Rh discrepency - above and under shelves

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
My current setup : 100ct humidor with two large packs bovedas in the lid.

I started to monitor upper/lower sections, and it seems the lower one sits at near 5% lower than above the shelve. Theres cigars on the shelve, but still aeration.

Is this a common problem? Can it be due to introducing new cigars? Should I add humidification to the lower section? Leave the upper section more free?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
My current setup : 100ct humidor with two large packs bovedas in the lid.

I started to monitor upper/lower sections, and it seems the lower one sits at near 5% lower than above the shelve. Theres cigars on the shelve, but still aeration.

Is this a common problem? Can it be due to introducing new cigars? Should I add humidification to the lower section? Leave the upper section more free?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Just get a wineador, add a fan for circulation and an ETC for temp control and let us know when it's ready so we can bomb the shit out of you.

On a serious note...how deep is this 100ct that you would get that much difference in such a small space? Post a pic.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
There's an adage in homebrewing called RDWHAHB - relax, dont worry, have a home brew.

Same here. Unless you're noticing a difference, just enjoy em. I used to obsess over my humidors and constantly fiddling with em, trying to get the numbers where I wanted ended up being less than productive.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
There's an adage in homebrewing called RDWHAHB - relax, dont worry, have a home brew.

Same here. Unless you're noticing a difference, just enjoy em. I used to obsess over my humidors and constantly fiddling with em, trying to get the numbers where I wanted ended up being less than productive.
Its just that the 5% discrepency makes for a bit too dry in the bottom with cracking wrapper on some cigars, and a bit too humid in the top, eith some that just don't smoke good. Maybe I'll go back at using beads and kl spread evenly in the humidor, the rh was more even and everything smoked good.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
honestly, if you have that kind of discrepancy in a small humidor, there's something very very wrong.

Also, %5 should not make it too dry on the bottom and too humid up top. Just not enough range for that to happen.

Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Correct me if I'm wrong but...If you have a 100ct Humidor you should be using 4 large Boveda packs. One for every 25ct. of capacity (not just # of current cigars). At least that's how I understand it and could be the cause of your troubles?

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Correct me if I'm wrong but...If you have a 100ct Humidor you should be using 4 large Boveda packs. One for every 25ct. of capacity (not just # of current cigars). At least that's how I understand it and could be the cause of your troubles?
That's probably what Boveda says but 2 is usually plenty. I know someone who keeps a cabinet humidor with a small amount of kitty litter and 1 or 2 small bovedas in each level and it's fine.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
It also might just be too much fidgeting with it in too short a period of time.

Put it on the bottom, close it, and don't open it again for 24hrs. Then repeat with it on the top and compare.

It could be that the humidor is Chinese made, has a razor thin bottom, and is just leaking out the bottom. Over at Puff, Ed (Waxing Moon) cut open a reasonably nice Quality Importers humidor and the only thing between the cigars and the unsealed accessory tray below was a really, really thin sheet of unfinished wood.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0

Put it on the bottom, close it, and don't open it again for 24hrs. Then repeat with it on the top and compare.

It could be that the humidor is Chinese made, has a razor thin bottom, and is just leaking out the bottom. Over at Puff, Ed (Waxing Moon) cut open a reasonably nice Quality Importers humidor and the only thing between the cigars and the unsealed accessory tray below was a really, really thin sheet of unfinished wood.
They all have 1/8" press board bases

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
That could make sense... the 2 packs became dry faster than I tought.
(I also had to reorganize my storage during that period, and added a lot of sticks...)

Oh I am rather certain the original dryness came from reorganizing and adding sticks, with a good 20 new sticks in there last week just as it became dry.
I think the issue is to rehumidify the bottom if/when its dryer - when we open the humi for more than a minute or two. If the moisturization is in the lid and humidity raises, it would take longer than if its in the bottom. Am I making any sense?
I didn't have this discrepency with beads in the bottom - but it has the bad effect of having a larget footprint "taking" room where I now store cigars.

At this point my preferred method of humidification are the super coffins that I got from brother BigBill, with a shallow ammount of beads or KL. Those are the easiest to spread RH.