What's new

Rh discrepency - above and under shelves

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
If the 2 packs are becoming drier, you have a leak. I've had small packs in some humidors for months without anything happening to them.

I really can't say this enough. Sometimes, you just need to let your sticks be. I was reorganizing and I got distracted by something else and left the door open. it was down to 50. Closed the door and waited a couple of days and it was right back where I like.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Ara, I reorganized the sticks last week, and added about 20 more.
Then, noticed one was drier than anticipated. Like, crispy dry - that's when I noticed the packs were dried up. They've been "less mushy" for a while. I have no clue when they became dry, but its somewhere in the last week. They've been in my humidor for a good 2 months, and kept it stable at 70 the whole time, regardless of how dry the place is (40%) and the temperature swings we are experiencing.

On retrospect, I have had some drier than usual sticks in the last two weeks. Not that any smoked bad, but why not trying to keep them where they smoke great?

My current plan is to bring the RH back to normal and stable, and rehumidify the packs correctly. But, I think I'll put them in the bottom instead of the top, this time.

I am not overly worried about the whole thing, just wanting to ensure the system "works" before letting it there carelessly...

Last edited:

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
How long after you added 20 sticks did the packs dry out? And where did you get the sticks? Unless you got them from a private seller who kept their sticks dry, they would likely be fairly wet.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just that the 5% discrepency makes for a bit too dry in the bottom with cracking wrapper on some cigars, and a bit too humid in the top, eith some that just don't smoke good. Maybe I'll go back at using beads and kl spread evenly in the humidor, the rh was more even and everything smoked good.
I keep my 65 RH beads hydrated on the bottom, but I never hydrate the ones up top. It works for me balancing out the RH.

That, and I keep my humis in a wooden chest that's lined with kl keeping the RH outside of my humis @ about 70.

Since doing it that way - I have been good to go. Good luck.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Correct me if I'm wrong but...If you have a 100ct Humidor you should be using 4 large Boveda packs. One for every 25ct. of capacity (not just # of current cigars). At least that's how I understand it and could be the cause of your troubles?
Either one 60gram, or two 8grams; one up top and one in the bottom. At least that's how I'd work it. (y)

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
How long after you added 20 sticks did the packs dry out? And where did you get the sticks? Unless you got them from a private seller who kept their sticks dry, they would likely be fairly wet.
It was in the course of the week, purchases and bombs. Added sticks on 3 different occasion. Reorganized the humi at the same time. I noticed the dryness of the packs after the last shot, but the RH had been "low" since the first addition without me worrying about it. So... I don't know.

the RH raised trough the weekend from 60 to 65. Today the hygrometer is sitting on the bottom to see where it stands there with the bovedas down there.

The double-side tape that held the magnet for the boveda holder decided to fall yesterday... I think someone is trying to tell me to put my humidity on the bottom.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
My money is on the humidor leaking, and taking measurements too close together.

There isn't enough space in there that there should be any kind of serious variance between the top and the bottom of the humidor, certainly not a 5% variance. I don't get that kind of variance in any of my three wineadors between top and bottom, and I'm not running any fans or anything.

My honest, earnest advice is ditch the leaky humi and get a tupperdore.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
in the medium run, my plan is to get a wineadore... but in the meanwhile, this humidor pass the paper test, and didn't have much issues until I try bovedas. Plus, it has been gifted to me at my first father's day as a father.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
That being the case, I would personally go with two Bovedas in the top, and KL in the bottom. You're going to need to rehydrate more often, so this system will allow you to wet the KL quite a bit, and the Bovedas at the top will absorb any extra humidity put off by the saturated KL, and when the KL starts to dry, the Bovedas will release their stored humidity to compensate, allowing your humidor to maintain a nice even rH.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
in the medium run, my plan is to get a wineadore... but in the meanwhile, this humidor pass the paper test, and didn't have much issues until I try bovedas. Plus, it has been gifted to me at my first father's day as a father.
That's a great gift so keep it, just put the beads back and bovedas if it will make you feel better.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
That being the case, I would personally go with two Bovedas in the top, and KL in the bottom. You're going to need to rehydrate more often, so this system will allow you to wet the KL quite a bit, and the Bovedas at the top will absorb any extra rH put off by the saturated KL, allowing your humidor to maintain a nice even rH.
Stop writing what I was going to write and at the same time too. (don't you know that I'm the humidification tzar around these parts.) :)

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Boveda on top and beads/KL on the bottom sure seems to be an interesting idea.
I think I'll ditch the bottom section separator too. Its more annoying than anything else. It almost reaches the shelve, blocking airflow, and prevent from putting large coffing. I think I'll use coffins as separator. lol.