What's new

Sick wall-mounted humidor

SensorO

meetup.com/Northern-Virginia-Cigar-Enthusiasts/
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be really easy to make. Might just have to do it one day.
Dude,, do you know how many projects that took days and weeks started with that exact sentence. I quiver.
If you got the tools,,, and its all the tools,, and the know how,, please keep good records of what you do, take pictures, make a video,, I'll need it when I show the contractor what I was trying to.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
OMG, i love that. Noted!

Now just need instructions on how to build.
Pretend you're putting in a window. Square it out to the internal size of your picture frame. Cut out the drywall. Cut out the center 2x4 .Frame the inside square. Line it with the wood of your choice. The only thing taking any thought is the window. Plexiglass on a hinge would be a quick answer.

I kept a gun in the wall behind a mirror in my first house.

Last edited:

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Dude,, do you know how many projects that took days and weeks started with that exact sentence. I quiver.
If you got the tools,,, and its all the tools,, and the know how,, please keep good records of what you do, take pictures, make a video,, I'll need it when I show the contractor what I was trying to.
Lol, cut a hole, frame it, drywall it, line it with cedar, build shelves for Stogies and then modify a hinged picture frame to seal shut. I've got this

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Other than that, we could add, if the house was built before 1975 remove a wall plate or wall duct and identify the wallboard is good ol Gypsum sheet rock and not asbestos. That could dampen your parade I guess....

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Does it look simple? Yes. Is it simple to "build"? Probably. Is it simple to build it right? Probably not. I would say the easiest thing to do would just build in a wine cooler with cedar shelves and build a frame around the door. The absolute hardest part of the build above is the door and getting a tight seal. If I built one, I would frame it all in, build a spanish cedar/or mahogany insert that is wrapped sealed from the back so there is no air loss. Implement your humidification device, lights, set it in. Then I would take a thin metal strip and put it around the outside of the insert. Build a tempered glass frame on hinges, place a magnetic strip around the frame, and hope it has a good deal. All of the time, effort, materials would be well at or above the cost of building in a wine cooler. At least with a wine cooler you have temperature control.

Just my 2 cents. Sure there are many ways to do things, this would be "my way" but ask my wife, I am wrong all the time.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Now now, I'm sure you've been right at least once before. I can't recall that time personally, but I have a hunch it's happened!
Ah yes. One time I told my wife she was correct the whole time. She quickly said, "You're right that I'm right!" Thanks for helping me find the light Collin.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That is pretty sweet. Wife and I have been talking about moving out to the country and building a house. That would definitely be something to have done.

For adding to an existing house, Couldn't you build the box make sure it seals and holds humidity then mount in the wall.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
All of the time, effort, materials would be well at or above the cost of building in a wine cooler. At least with a wine cooler you have temperature control.

Just my 2 cents. Sure there are many ways to do things, this would be "my way" but ask my wife, I am wrong all the time.
cant put a wine cooler in the wall though

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I guess it would depend on whether you have a pocket to stick it in or not. Obviously it'd be too deep for a typical wall, but if you had a void (for example: my house has old coal chutes that are now just voids) you could do it assuming you put it some reinforcement. The problem is the door might be unsightly and hard to cover up.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This wouldn't be too hard to do. You just need to be able to build a humidor, and then frame an opening into the wall. It would be nearly impossible to retrofit into an existing house with out some serious work though, because it looks like you'd need at least a 12" deep wall cavity to do it. You'd have to frame in another wall parallel to the back of that thing to enclose it. I'd prebuild the humidor portion just like a regular humi with a mahogany case, and then line it with nice thick Spanish Cedar. Then you'd set it into the wall just like any built-in cabinet. It's hard to tell from the picture, but I think the glass is set into the decorative picture frame. So I'd guess there are concealed hinges and the seal is behind the frame, and the entire frame swings out when you open it. That's what I'd try to do. It would be just like building a glass top humidor, except it's on it's side and built into a wall.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Sure you can. You just have to put it where a closet is. If your going to frame in a humidor, it is probably done on new construction. That humidor in the photo is deeper than a traditional 2x4" interior or 2x6" if it is load bearing.

If someone is doing this it is pre-planned with new construction or place where a closet would be so the back doesn't stick out.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Sure you can. You just have to put it where a closet is. If your going to frame in a humidor, it is probably done on new construction. That humidor in the photo is deeper than a traditional 2x4" interior or 2x6" if it is load bearing.

If someone is doing this it is pre-planned with new construction or place where a closet would be so the back doesn't stick out.
Speaking of closets, I just realized we need to talk closets. Like you have literally one closet ha.

#Underailthread