What's new

Some cigars splitting?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Recently I've had a problem with some cigars either cracking when I light them, or the wrapper splitting/coming off when I cut the cigar.

I use an Aristocrat humidor and the temp stays at 70 degrees and the humi varies between 66 and 71, but both are very stable. I smoked a cigar two days ago that I've had for about 6 months and it was great, no problems. This morning I grabbed one that I've had for about 3 months and the wrapper unwrapped when I cut the head. I used a Palio and just trimmed the edge.

Last week I smoked a cigar rolled locally which had only been in my humi for a couple of days, but the wrapper cracked near the foot of the cigar when I light it.

This may just be a problem with the individual sticks, but wondered if there might be more to the problem.

Thanks

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I've heard of this in extreme cold temps, but that's not your problem. I believe it was Oneaday that said he quickly pours distilled water over the wrapper and it keeps his from cracking. But he is in the desert

RigilKent

RigilKent
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
wow seam like you have been having some bad luck. this never happens to me. i would say there to dry do you have a digital humi or analog? if analog its probably off.

DSturg369

Pipe Smokin' Country Boy
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are splitting when you light them, they are too moist.

Some cigars, especially new additions to the humidor, may be a little overly moist. Give your new stuff a few weeks to a month to settle. If you see a pattern with a particular brand of cigar, try using a "Dry Box" for a few days prior to smoking.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Too moist would cause them to split? I thought it would be the other way around, too dry would cause them to split. Because of the humidity in Florida (not bad this time of year), I don't even use the internal humidification system, just beads. I may have to add some distilled water since the beads are pretty dry since I thought dry would be a little better.

DSturg369

Pipe Smokin' Country Boy
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gently "squeeze" the foot. If you hear a "crackling / crunching" sound, it's too dry.

When a cigar is too moist, the splitting is caused by the rapid expansion of the moisture in the binder and wrapper when contacted by the heat source. Another tell-tale sign is a slight but noticable buldge just ahead of the burn line.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have two hygro's, both digital, one very recently calibrated and it's accurate. Both give the same readings.

Thanks Dale, good way to check. But, I thought humidity between 65-70 was perfect for cigars. And my problem only seems to be certain cigars, not all of them...

DSturg369

Pipe Smokin' Country Boy
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
65 - 70 is perfect for storing and aging, but not always ideal for smoking. Some cigars just seem to hold more moisture than others.... I have no idea as to why. Could be the size, shape, or maybe the age/type of tabaccos used in making it. I have some La Lunas that just seem to smoke better after a few days of sitting in my Dry Box, which is just a small humidor that has no humidity source in it. I've smoked other N/C's that have also benefited from this, as well as some Cubans.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Many of my Pepin sticks crack during cutting and also during burning from the Blue to the Havana VI, and maybe even the Cabaiguan. My RH is consistently 67-68% and temp is not an issue for me. I believe the wrapper is rolled too tight and when torched has caused several to have a severe reaction to the point of not being able to smoke some and some with the wrapper that basically comes off. When cutting many times there is an inch split and makes smoking difficult as the draw is compromised.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Steve, thanks, that sounds like what I'm experiencing. I have some Pepin's in my humi, but they are pretty new and I haven't tried one yet. May do so when I get home just to see what happens. In this vein, I have a box of AF Hemingway Short Story and they have been fine.

Oh well!

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
Many of my Pepin sticks crack during cutting and also during burning from the Blue to the Havana VI, and maybe even the Cabaiguan. My RH is consistently 67-68% and temp is not an issue for me. I believe the wrapper is rolled too tight and when torched has caused several to have a severe reaction to the point of not being able to smoke some and some with the wrapper that basically comes off. When cutting many times there is an inch split and makes smoking difficult as the draw is compromised.
I have experienced the same thing with Cabaiguan Guapos.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Little clarification: I am not talking about the occasional wrapper coming undone during the cap being cut off or the once in a while split or crack. I am talking about large cracks in the wrapper that make smoking almost impossible due to the size crack. Sometimes the entire wrapper starts to unravel during cutting also; due to the too tight roll impossible to get the wrapper back on thus stick is trashed.

Also while smoking I am talking about the stick makes a sharp "crack" noises then a large crack is formed. The closer the heat gets, the larger the crack gets also making for bad smoking forcing me to toss many a stick before it's time.

I have only had one or two non Pepin stick do this to me, the other 6-8 times were Pepin cigars.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
From what I understand most of the Pepin stuff is like a sponge because of the tobacco used (criollo/corojo) in the binder filler and the wrapper. For this very reason I am keeping my Pepin sticks in a cooler with 65rh beads. I hope to prevent this problem from rearing it's ugly head. I used to keep my cigars too moist using that cheezy gel stuff and would occasionally run into splitting problems. I don't think it happened to me very often because I typically had cigars with very hearty wrappers(ex Partagas Black). The wrappers on stuff I've been buying lately have been more delicate so I would have most likely ran into splitting problems.

So with that said I'd try lowering your RH to 65 or maybe a little less if you could. I could tell that just having my Serie JJ Maduros in a jar at 65% they swelled up a little bit. It was very obvious when I went to box them back up it was considerably tighter than when I had unpacked them the week prior.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
bummer,,, haven't noted this problem with the pepins!
Me either, guess I'm getting lucky.

I haven't either and I'm guessing it's because the stick is a little to moist. Moist tobacco will crack due to the pressure build up when heated.
Really moist sticks will crack from swelling without being lit. Long ago, some vendors to compensate for sticks drying out while in transit, used to over humidify them, causing the feet to crack and the wrappers to unravel by the time you opened the box.

I do run water over the wrappers when smoking outside in AZ or drier climes. This prevents the wrapper from drying out and creating burn problems.