What's new

Some cigars splitting?

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I havent had this problem with the sticks in my humi but at one of the local B&M's major issues. These guys super humidify at night and there are major swings. The Pepins must suck up the moisture and when lit they expand and crack down from the foot. A stable environment is the ticket.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
You guys hit the nail on the head with Pepin's tobacco. Pepin's cigars seem to be very hygroscopic and soak up the humidity which would make the wrapper seem tight, but I usually dry box (I likes the extra flavor from a drier ligero!) for half a day or more and that's cleaned up all my issues with the Pepin line. Tatuaje's do not seem to do it that much to me except in the especial (whatever the Laguito #1 is called).

You can hydrate the wrapper by running the cigar under the tap and blot it dry or dry box...either way you want but they need to be balanced so it doesn't crack.

Steve- I feel your pain man. I smoked the one cigar that I got from Pepin's table (Belicoso's) and had to toss the wrapper after it blew up. I tried to keep smoking it but it was way out of control...

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
thread jack: indy, a little more info on the hydrating the wrapper. how do you do this, and, when would you do this?

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
thread jack: indy, a little more info on the hydrating the wrapper. how do you do this, and, when would you do this?
It's more of a touch and go thing. I've done it a handful of times because I was getting ready to smoke a cameroon wrapped stick that i was sure it was going to pop.

It's just a thing you notice I guess. I do a light squeeze and sort of 'feel' the wrapper when I'm squeezing it too.
Nice wrappers that I've never had to wet have a supple feel to it and it's almost silky to the touch.

Wrapprs that I've wet down more than any others are Cameroon. The wrapper is very delicate and you'll notice more flavor pulled from the wrapper if you wet it a little. Don't worry about making it soggy - if you do it quickly the oils from the tobacco will repel the water without turning it into a sponge.