What's new

Switched to Heartfelt beads, can't get humidity above 40%. Please help

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
48 hour update: holding at 51-53$ rh, max. 54%. Nice steady progress. I just reorganized the cigars in the Tupperdor to equalize their quantities so the bead one has some more free space.

Yesterday I called my local cigar store and asked if they had bovedas. To my surprise they said yes. After I nice walk through the snow I learned they in fact did not have any aside from an old one that came with a box of Opuses... I took it for free and overpaid for some Tats. The other local shops are sold out of the packs for the time being so I'm just going to wait. I'm encouraged by the slow climb my hygrometer is reporting.

Also, I did a ziploc test with the beads and my hygro a few days ago with the beads supersaturated and the hygro jumped to 70% in a few minutes, so I'm inclined to believe it is accurate.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Alright, I'm getting mighty frustrated...

I did the heated distilled water seasoning method with two rounds of steaming and got the humi very nice and humid. Popped the cigars in and it was at 72%. I checked on it just now while grabbing a smoke and it's at 49%. I need help. I don't know what to do anymore and this is pissing me off. Below are photos of the box so you can see how full it is and what type of humidification I'm working with.

Humidifiers:
HF 65% large round humidifier
Water pillow
shot glass of distilled water
cigar shaped tube with crystals

Should be total overkill right?!

I'm at wits end here.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
First, re-fill thepillow. Then, the beads are white (dry). Get them clear. Lastly, give it time. Could be that the cigars were utterly dry.

sportsmedjosh

CRA Member: 211528
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Let me start off by saying nice collection, I do feel your frustration. Do you want me to send you a boveda calibration pak? I have one and you can just send it back when your done. I can overnight it to you. How do the cigar feel, are they crisp or do the feel fine?

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
first, unless you test your hygro the correct way with the Boveda, you are wasting your time.

I see no humidification in the top of the humi. take the tray out, put the cigars from the tray in the humidor. take that shotglass out of there. take the water pillow out of its ziploc bag. put the pillow where you had the shotglass. leave the tray out of the humi. put you hygro right on top of your cigars.

main problem is the tray blocks humidity from rising to the top where your hygrometer is.

and seasoning takes about a week, not 2 days

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Take your time and do what Ron said.......you just posted this on the 28th here it is the 4th. Moro has a great point the cigars might be dry, and taking in the moisture that takes time my friend.:thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
First, re-fill thepillow. Then, the beads are white (dry). Get them clear. Lastly, give it time. Could be that the cigars were utterly dry.
The pillow is totally full. It's photoed in a ziploc bag which is loose with holes in it so the moisture can escape. The beads are totally saturated. They appear white from the flash.

josh said:
Let me start off by saying nice collection, I do feel your frustration. Do you want me to send you a boveda calibration pak? I have one and you can just send it back when your done. I can overnight it to you. How do the cigar feel, are they crisp or do the feel fine?
Thank you. I don't think it's worth the $$ to overnight, but I really appreciate your offer. The two closest tobacconists are sold out or don't carry bovedas. There are a few more shops to try. If they don't have them I'll bite the bullet and buy from Holt's.

ronC said:
first, unless you test your hygro the correct way with the Boveda, you are wasting your time.

I see no humidification in the top of the humi. take the tray out, put the cigars from the tray in the humidor. take that shotglass out of there. take the water pillow out of its ziploc bag. put the pillow where you had the shotglass. leave the tray out of the humi. put you hygro right on top of your cigars.

main problem is the tray blocks humidity from rising to the top where your hygrometer is.
Ron, excellent suggests. I've removed the tray and put everything in the bottom. Pillow has been removed from the bag and the shot glass is gone. I'm fairly certain that the hygro is accurate, though I haven't tested it. I put in a ziploc with the saturated beads and it climbed and peaked at 70% pretty fast.

josh said:
.jacob PM me your addy. I"ll drop the calibration kit in the mail tomorrow.
That is extremely kind of you. You're doing me a huge favor. Thank you. Address has been PM'd.

Jacob

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Make sure you are not getting any of the humidifcation devices in contact with the smokes. Looks like a bit of white mold on the tops of those opus. Not a big deal, just wipe it off. My .02

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I know I'm late but, WHY DONT YOU SALT TEST THE HYGRO IT TAKES OVERNIGHT IN A ZIPLOC BAG. And you will know the truth by the time you get up!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
You are rushing it. These things take time.
Good response. These things take time. Take the time to test your hygro. Take the time to let your humi acclimate naturally (Steam?????) Test the seal. You will get there.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
How does one test the seal? It feels snug when I open and close it. Is there a method beyond that?

smokingIsh

BoM July '09
Rating - 100%
171   0   0
How does one test the seal? It feels snug when I open and close it. Is there a method beyond that?
I would suggest the dollar bill test (or any small bit of paper. Place the bill halfway in the humidor and close the lid. If you can easily slide the bill back and forth you have a bad seal. Try this on all of the areas of the seal to ensure you are ok.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Hygrometer has been reading 66% for the past 24 hours and it's now been in the bag for 38 hours. I guess it's toast? Hard to believe. So what's the best hygrometer out there without breaking the bank?