What's new

Temp Concerns

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Hey Brothers. Since moving to Florida temp control has been on my mind. Mold and beetles are real concerns in our hobby. I'm wondering though, tobacco spends much time in open air curing barns, under cheesecloth, finished cigars spend months or much longer in open air aging rooms. These are all located in hot climates with large groups of products. Do we over exaggerate these concerns? Thoughts?

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
There has been big beetle outbreaks that eaten whole boxes, and I've heard one case where someone lost a few hundred nice cigars to beetles.... We know that it happens... we see beetles mentioned once in a while, so the best we can do is try to keep our stuff at home at low enough temps and the right humidity so it does not happen...

Why does this not happen in big factories? Drying rooms? Aging rooms? I do not have an answer to that... but we are better off being safe with our prized collections.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
In as little as two weeks beetles could destroy your collection if they are maintained at a temperture of 75% or higher.

You can go to just about any cigar site on the web and read about this happening.

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
Manufacturers spend a lot of time cleaning their storage areas and fumigating and paying people to monitor their tobacco. Beetles exist everywhere but I suspect their impact is factored into the manufacturing process... So we don't hear much about it.

I've been a beetle victim myself and can tell you that your fears are justified. If you can't keep the whole house cool, wineadors are the only way to go.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I know about beetles guys. I've been in this hobby for a long time. I have owned a wineador in the past before I bought my cabinet. I just wanted to know how guys felt about the fact that millions of dollars in product is kept at temps we would fear for long periods of time. Perhaps it is factored in the process/price. I know a lot of big outlets freeze stuff and supposedly Habanos S.A. Does as well. I just haven't had to think about temps this much before. Better to be safe than sorry, I agree.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
And for what I have read, the risk of infestation is greater in CC's than it is in NC's.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I know about beetles guys. I've been in this hobby for a long time. I have owned a wineador in the past before I bought my cabinet. I just wanted to know how guys felt about the fact that millions of dollars in product is kept at temps we would fear for long periods of time. Perhaps it is factored in the process/price. I know a lot of big outlets freeze stuff and supposedly Habanos S.A. Does as well. I just haven't had to think about temps this much before. Better to be safe than sorry, I agree.
I have heard that all of Fuentes cigars are frozen prior to shipping... And that does help... but how they do it at the factory (keep it beetle free) is beyond me.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I have heard that all of Fuentes cigars are frozen prior to shipping... And that does help... but how they do it at the factory (keep it beetle free) is beyond me.
It's my understand that Oliva does the same thing, but don't know how or when.

Boosted

War Eagle!!!
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
This was taken off of a CC forum I frequent:

"Habanos does now freeze all cigars. Capacity is 4,600,000 per week. They freeze cigars for 5 days at -23 to -25 degrees celsius(-13 to -9 degrees Fahrenheit) before bringing them back in a second chamber slowly."