What's new

This can only get worse..

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ah! I thought I was supposed to wipe them down! Lol oh well. I'll keep an eye out on rH & those boxes for a few days before putting any sticks in it.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
I may not be the best to answer, but take them out and let them dry out. Or maybe just throw them out. You don't want to coat the boxes with DW because it can cause mold. Putting the boxes in with a bowl of DW and the KL to let it slowly rise to the desired RH is what you need to do.
This ^^^

I would probably throw them out as well.

I typed up a long response yesterday and lost it, so I'm glad someone else caught you. No offense King. Wiping may work for some, but you're actually making it harder on yourself if you do, not to mention playing with fire (both from possible mold, and splintering of the wood that can be caused by extreme wetting/drying - splintered wood leads to turn up cigars down the road) Like everything in life, patience is key. Let the wood gradually absorb moisture until your hygrometer reads just a few points over your target RH, then remove water dish and let settle for a day as the wood will still be stabilizing throughout. Goal is to get all the wood, from surface to core, all at the same RH. You actually are best off not even adding your KL until your wood is stabilized, as the KL comes out of the sealed bag in the low to mid 60s RH. No reason to be messing that up!
Do a quick search in the storage thread and you should find a couple other threads going over these same steps in detail. Good luck!

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Also, in regards to the screen modification: Make sure you're using the nylon (?) Screen and not metal. Eventually the metal will rust being in the constant humid environment. If you found an appropriately sized small cigar box (10 count?) You could do your KL in there for a cleaner look, and do your drilling/screen combo on multiple sides for greater surface area yielding better humidity transfer. Many people also just do cutoff nylon stockings tied up like little bags and scattered throughout.
I used fish filter media bags in my wineador. You'll find what works best for you. When you do, let us know!

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
If you want to skip the screen given the rust advise you can heat a small drill bit with a lighter and poke holes in a Tupperware lid. Have to reheat a few times while making a lot of holes, but if hot enough it will literally pierce right through the plastic and leave a nice clean hole :)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
If you want to skip the screen given the rust advise you can heat a small drill bit with a lighter and poke holes in a Tupperware lid. Have to reheat a few times while making a lot of holes, but if hot enough it will literally pierce right through the plastic and leave a nice clean hole :)
Plus, there's always the masterful "coffins + embroidery mesh" solution from @stogieninja