What's new

Tupperdor Problems

canadianbeaver

Coffee, cigars and Scotch
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also a newb in this department, and certainly no expert, but here's a thought. I opened up the pucks that came with my humidors and inside were green foam hard absorbent things that worked really well. For years.

Then we had this dinner at a restaurant (for my dad's 80th birthday) and someone sent this massive vase of flowers and we split it up for 12 people and inside was a brick of THE SAME green stuff. I took it home and made these small humidor humidifiers in yoghurt containers with holes in the top, and added water for my wine fridge which is my coolador.

Never have had a moment's smell, they stay wet and they are FREE.

Please do not laugh at me.

CB

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
No laughing. :thumbsup:

What you are describing is the tried and true form of humidifier that has been around forever. The only thing missing is PG (Propylene Glycol) solution. That's what is added to the foam along with the water to actually regulate humidity...and I believe it helps to keep mold away which is the biggest problem with just using the foam and water. About half and half PG and Water regulates to about 70%. That being said, it is a one-way humidity solution, just like the Xikar Pucks mentioned above. It only humidifies, it doesn't de-humidify.

It's worked for plenty of people for years and years. It's just not the most accurate of humidification systems and it has a tendency to lead to over-humidification for people. It is also much harder to regulate to a lower RH (like say 65%) with the water PG solution.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
50/50 solution with foam or polymers usually will work pretty well in a desktop humidor. Why? my opinion is that a typical desktop leaks a little bit, and as said, the PG works well at releasing moisture, but not absorbing. I use polymers plus 50/50 solution in a desktop and Coolidor.

In an airtight container, my favorite is the Boveda. The 50/50 plus polymers will overhumidify an airtight humidor