What's new

Two Boveda Packs

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Hello fellow BOTL,
I went to a major cigar store here in Philly and asked what Boveda packs I would need for my small tupperdor. Well, the first thing is that the guy at the counter laughed at me for how I said Boveda, corrected me, and then asked the size of my humi. I told him a 2.5L tupperware container.
He goes to the packs and grabs me two 84% seasoning packs and two 72% packs, then tells me to season the box for 2 weeks. I asked if that was necessary for plastic, he adamantly said yes. So, being a noob, I bought all four packets and left.
At home, research told me that all I really need was one humi pack, and that it should be a 69%. Well, I already tossed the 84 in my tupperware, and had the other 72 opened like an idiot. I managed to return 2 of them, got a 69% and a house smoke (which sucked, bad!) and obviously sought assistance from another employee.
Sorry for the story.
Point being, I have two packs that are in ziploc bags now. An 84% and a 72%.
Does anyone in the Philadelphia area want these for free?
If so just drop me a line and let's meet up.

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Man they got you, I vote 65%boveda myself but it's a matter of preference for sure
Dang, they did, huh?
I'm not at all impressed by this shop. Way too many egos, young guys smoking HUGE cigars all the time and they definitely make you feel stupid for asking them any questions not pertaining to them.

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
One 65% Boveda will do the trick unless you like your smokes with a little higher RH. Also, I probably wouldn't do business with that guy because he sounds like an asshole for selling you what he did.
Yes sir, bonafide douche!
"Well pardon my French, but that stinks!"
Haha, pardoned my friend b/c yes, it stinks!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Wow, so sorry to hear that that was your experience.

First, that's very generous of you to offer them. I have no need but I am sure someone here will.

Was the first person you spoke with either an owner or manager of the store? If not, I'd contact them again (either in person or email) and let them know. Even though cigars are starting to rise in popularity again, it's not like stores are so awash in customers that they can toss clients away. ESPECIALLY someone new to the hobby. Good grief, they should have been tripping over themselves to help you out and make you a loyal customer! Yeah, I'd definitely drop them a line and let them know how that first person messed up.

Personally, I like to have a couple extra packs because I can always keep one or two in the humidor while letting others recharge when they dry out. So having an extra isn't a bad thing. If you add any Spanish Cedar to your Tupperdor, then you would want to season that. And the seasoning packs do work but you can also accomplish the same thing by gently wiping the wood with a clean sponge that's been just slightly dampened with distilled water.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Tupperware = 1 65% pack. No seasoning.

Now, what you can do now is take a spanish cedar box apart, put the pieces in the tupperware, and use the 84% to slowly season them. So there's that. But yeah, no seasoning needed for plastic...

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Wow, so sorry to hear that that was your experience.

First, that's very generous of you to offer them. I have no need but I am sure someone here will.

Was the first person you spoke with either an owner or manager of the store? If not, I'd contact them again (either in person or email) and let them know. Even though cigars are starting to rise in popularity again, it's not like stores are so awash in customers that they can toss clients away. ESPECIALLY someone new to the hobby. Good grief, they should have been tripping over themselves to help you out and make you a loyal customer! Yeah, I'd definitely drop them a line and let them know how that first person messed up.

Personally, I like to have a couple extra packs because I can always keep one or two in the humidor while letting others recharge when they dry out. So having an extra isn't a bad thing. If you add any Spanish Cedar to your Tupperdor, then you would want to season that. And the seasoning packs do work but you can also accomplish the same thing by gently wiping the wood with a clean sponge that's been just slightly dampened with distilled water.
This^^^^^^

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I like to have a few extra bovedas and get mine on Amazon generally about the best price and pretty easy to deal with but I have some "recharging" in a closed Tupperware and just rotate them out, extra bovedas and it just recovers a little quicker

Rating - 98.7%
91   1   2
Sorry to hear you got robbed brother.

After hearing that story, I wouldn't be going back to that shop if I was you. Either the salesperson has bad ethics to sell you the seasoning packs just to make a sale, or he is stupid and doesn't know that you can't season a tuperware container.

I understand your new and wanted to get what you though was right, so no fault on your part.

Next he will be trying to sell you a Zippo to light your cigars.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Sorry to hear brother... hopefully they do something for ya, nothing worse than some douchy guy at the counter of your local BM. It may be a little out of your way but the Holts ;) at the North east Philly location is top notch...always helpful ... I go there when our sponsors here don't deplete my cigar budget (as if I have one)... Good luck!

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
The store manager replied to my email very promptly. I liked that for sure.
He apologized for the incident, said to come in, he will take the open packs back, give me a refund, and buy me a cigar for all my troubles.
I must say, I am impressed. In this day and age you don't always get a response, let alone an understanding one.
Thanks for all the suggestions, advice, and camaraderie BOTL!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One 65% Boveda will do the trick unless you like your smokes with a little higher RH. Also, I probably wouldn't do business with that guy because he sounds like an asshole for selling you what he did.
I totally agree James!.. Besides being an asshole, pawning off shit you didn't need, he obviously doesn't know SQUAT! Your money is best spent elsewhere!
If its your only saving grace in the area you might go in and ask how long he has worked in the Cigar field and maybe ask to speak to a manager or the owner. I really like that you are giving the packs away but to be honest...You should have never been sold them in the first place and you should receive ALL your $$$ back opened or not. Just my .02 But being the owner of a very busy store myself I just get so pissed when other store owners take advantage of people, gives us all a black eye.. Were in it to make a living..Not a fortune off your inexperience.

Cheers
Jay

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
sounds like you shopped at GNC lol going in fora protein bar and leaving with 5 other items you don't need.

but good customer service can make up for the crappy service in store, good to see a company stand by a philosophy.

those other packs could've been used for calibration if they wouldn't take them back

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store manager replied to my email very promptly. I liked that for sure.
He apologized for the incident, said to come in, he will take the open packs back, give me a refund, and buy me a cigar for all my troubles.
I must say, I am impressed. In this day and age you don't always get a response, let alone an understanding one.
Thanks for all the suggestions, advice, and camaraderie BOTL!
Dude that's great news!! Woot!!

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Today after work I met with the manager of the shop. We shook hands, and he walked me back to the humidor area. He refunded my cash, asked what I like to smoke (medium to full) and gave me a cigar. The manager was very apologetic about his employees behavior, and asked that I do come back because he strives to provide the best customer service. I told him I was thankful for what he did and let him know that based on how it was handled, I would come back at some point in the future.