What's new

Walk-In

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have finally decided to take the giant step and build the walk-in humidor.

It's going to be in my basement. I have wanted a walk-in humidor ever since I started smoking cigars about 20 years ago. Recently, I have looked at getting a larger cabinet humidor, but I've realized that what I'm going to do is just what I've done over the years and keep buying something bigger because I run out of room.

It's happened to all of us at some point. You're sitting somewhere, staring at something and all of a sudden the idea hits you. This is what happened to me:

I'm sitting at my computer that is in one corner of my basement. On the other side of the room is an open space that I really don't use for anything other than to stack boxes and crap. I'm sitting here on the computer when I just picture framing off the area and how perfect it would be to finally use the space for something beneficial. With the winter months coming this will be a great project.

I want to solicit everyone's suggestions and advice. Specifically, for those of you who have done a project like this, if you were to do it again what would you do differently? Also, any and all suggestions on humidification and ventilation is greatly appreciated.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Don't think i've ever seen a walk in built in the basement. I've never undertaken a big project like that, my only suggestion is have a plan for when the basement floods, cause you have to be ready for murphy and his damn laws

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think i've ever seen a walk in built in the basement. I've never undertaken a big project like that, my only suggestion is have a plan for when the basement floods, cause you have to be ready for murphy and his damn laws
Very good point. I can only remember one time that the basement had water, but know what? The night I have it finished and stocked I'll get the flood of the century.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw a video of on mikesstogies.com of him building a walk in humidor in his basement. May be it will help.

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
There are at least 4 people on botl that I know have built walk in humidors in their house with another two getting ready to start theirs. There are several thread on this if you search for them they are there. One is Vegan's and the other is Gokian's

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
Mine is built in the basement, I took precautions just for this so no worries if you do it right.

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
Ok I have just shy of 200 cubic feet of storage in my walk in. The only thing that ever sits on the floor is empty traveldors or the occasional empty box. My Lowest shelf is 10 to 12 inches off the floor. I have a greater worry of my home theater flooding than I do of my cigars getting wet. There is nothing wrong with building a walk in in the basement. You are building something next to air tight. My first suggestion is to decide how big you want to go. This is one thing that bigger might not be better. You dont need to build a 12x12 room as a) it will take a while to fill and b) will be a bitch to keep humidity. ours right now is 4x7 the next house will be 6x8. I would figure out what size you want to make it then start on a materials list. If you need help just pm me.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
ours right now is 4x7 the next house will be 6x8.
Are you moving in the near future? Just wondering if you plan on taking out the wood/materials in your current humidor to use in the next? I know I would have to have a plan in place if I were to do this and then move to a new house as there aren't too many cigar smokers in the Seattle area and selling a house with a walk-in humidor would probably be a big disadvantage to selling it.

I am hoping to have a new house in the next couple years and was just curious.

Last edited:

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
Our plans are to build in the next 7 years. I am not sure if I will take the materials with me or just leave it as a wood lined closet.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Don't most basements have sump pumps that turn on in case of floods?
Sump pumps don't work when you loose electricity.

F'in Irene destroyed my finished basement. Well, carpet only. No flooding but water level increased drastically and b/c of lack of elecricity, we had 6" of water after few hours.

In my opinion if you are thinking about a humidor in the basement, get yourself a generator !!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks fellas for the advice. In regard to the basement not being a good place for the walk-in I don't think that argument holds water :grin:

I'm 99% comfortable with my basement staying dry. Like it was mentioned above I'll keep everything up off of the ground just in case.

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
Are you moving in the near future? Just wondering if you plan on taking out the wood/materials in your current humidor to use in the next? I know I would have to have a plan in place if I were to do this and then move to a new house as there aren't too many cigar smokers in the Seattle area and selling a house with a walk-in humidor would probably be a big disadvantage to selling it.

I am hoping to have a new house in the next couple years and was just curious.
Just turn into a wood lined closet or take the wood out and refinish and paint. Really no disadvantage to it or advantage. I couldn't see anyone who is looking to buy that house would not buy it over a closet.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Sump pumps don't work when you loose electricity.

F'in Irene destroyed my finished basement. Well, carpet only. No flooding but water level increased drastically and b/c of lack of elecricity, we had 6" of water after few hours.

In my opinion if you are thinking about a humidor in the basement, get yourself a generator !!!
I see your 6 inches and raise you 3 feet....

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Figured I would weigh in on the real estate side. Unless you have a huge house, most will not expect it, if you do get a cigar smoker, it may be all the difference in the world as to whether they pick yours or another. I agree with the previous comments as well, you could always just call it an office.