What's new

Water Pillows

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Okay, I'm getting into an old thread, but I didn't see any since in making a new thread for an old issue.

My storage situation is horrible, right now. Anyway, I have two cheaper desktop humidors, two plastic containers that I applied weatherstripping around the lip, another plastic storage container that has a better built-in air seal (just got it), and still need much more!!!

Anyway... my issue. My beads, in the tubes, are 65% beads. They seem like they dry out terribly fast. That's its own issue; I have just been having to recharge them a lot. But for the other containers, I purchased some water pillows from a local B&M. I charge them, as directed, and put them into containers. To check them, I put my digital hygros (2) in that container to check them. Well, I tried putting my beads in the plastic storage, and moved the water pillows to my desktops humidors. So, in the desktops, the hygros won't go over 46%, as of last night. I will check them when I get home, tonight. My hygros were calibrated and set using a calib. kit. Soo... what am I doing wrong? What can I do to try to correct it? I think I'll experiment a little bit, ie: put two pillows in one container, see if it ups the hygros, etc.

To be quite honest, I can't afford any more beads, right now. So, I'm looking for cheap, BUT effective, humidification solutions. For how much can Boveda packs be found?

Thanks for the help, guys...

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
maybe put more pillows, just a thought?

as far as boveda's - i've seen them on the monster for around 12pack/$30. at that price, i'd rather go beads.

good luck!

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
bumping an old thread......does anyone use these for long term storage? I had mine for about 3 years to supplement humidity but they seem to be crapping out with mold and smell issues. Should a s-can them? Can they be salvaged?

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
they are meant to be disposable, but can be used long term. once moldy, just toss them. at 50 cents each, dont take cahnce on moldy cigars

Crypto Sailor

Loose Lips Sink Ships
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
bumping an old thread......does anyone use these for long term storage? I had mine for about 3 years to supplement humidity but they seem to be crapping out with mold and smell issues. Should a s-can them? Can they be salvaged?
At 3yrs I think you've gotten your moneys worth out of that pillow. I just bought some from RonC and since my local shop doesn't carry them.

Sent from my super Evo4G using Tapatalk

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
in the winter, when things start to dry up, you can use these to supplement your desktop humidifier. If you are using beads, these water pillows will give you a big supply of water, and the beads will keep the humidity in check. You can also add 50/50 solution to the Pillows, and they will work exactly like the much more expensive Drymistat tube.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I use them to recharge my Boveda packs. Put them together in a baggie, a week later the pack is back to normal.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Try using just a small cup of distilled water in your humidor. sometimes when the air gets dry and i need a little more so i use just a small plastic dish, fill it with some distilled water and stick it in my humi works great.