What's new

Weird Question

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
How about a low-tech squeeze on the cigars? I am not overly reliant on the hygros and keep them going just for shits and giggles, but I do adjust the humidity with more/less beads based on feel. I like mine about 62% (rough guess) and like less spring to my sticks and I'll take about 1/4lbs. of beads out to get what I want based on a squeeze.

I have moved mine into a closet sized room and run a little evaporative humidifier in there to help equalize the inside/outside humidity. Temperatures are an even 60 year round in that room even with the steam from the little humidifier.
Yeah, you make good points Rob. I, and others probably, make a big deal out of exact RH when it's not really rocket science. I guess this one just puzzled me based on my experience with beads generally being pretty exact and this case being really out of the realm of what I'm used to. I guess my other issue is based on my experience I generally prefer them in the low to mid 60's in terms of RH. Maybe I'll try a few and like them at around 58...

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I was wondering if your hygros are mounted or can you move them around? Maybe you just have a dead zone in the cabinet. I'm sure you've already done that, but that's all I got Jason.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I was wondering if your hygros are mounted or can you move them around? Maybe you just have a dead zone in the cabinet. I'm sure you've already done that, but that's all I got Jason.
They're not mounted, I could move them. One is on the top in the back..the other is on the middle shelf near the front by the door, the last one is on bottom in the middle of the shelf.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
don't wanna scare ya, but i've had some "broken" beads as well. I had a tube that just simply quit releasing water / humidity. I tried everything from a hair drier, a stove, to leaving them outside for a day. Nothing. I had to chuck em.

Hope this didn't happen to you. (and no I didn't use tap water ) :)
That's interesting. I have some beads in and old cooler, probably a pound or so. Maybe I'll swap the beads and see what changes. I know the other beads work well for sure. I'm going to fix the seal to the best of my ability either way, but the seal only has a couple spots where it's not perfect and it wasn't causing an issue a few weeks ago...we'll see.