What's new

Wineador Finish Question

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm really not very mature and to prove it...
You should see a t-shirt I had made:

Speakingof eyes, did I spy some Veritas planes in there somewhere?
Probably, since I'm darned partial to them. I have two of their shoulder planes, the #4 smoother, the low-angle jack, and the router plane. The low-angle block plane is a Stanley Sweetheart. My #6 fore plane is the real work horse, though and it's a Wood River.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha! I'm 46 going on 12. I like this place already: Smartarses, woodworkers and cigar smokers. :)
I have heard good things about waterlox. I just picked up 8 bf of spanish cedar at lunch today so I'm getting closer to getting started.
Does anybody know the thickness of the wood used on the aftermarket drawers? Seems to me the bottoms are probably 3/8ths thick but I think I can get away with 1/4" on the sides. Then rout 1/8th inch passes in each direction for vented sides and back.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hahaha! I'm 46 going on 12. I like this place already: Smartarses, woodworkers and cigar smokers.
Don't forget beer/wine/whisk(e)y lovers, gun nuts, car nuts, sports nuts, and assorted nuts.

I have heard good things about waterlox.
It is good stuff but a bit on the pricey side. It's really just a wiping varnish but a durable one. You could also mix up a wiping varnish of your own. If you don't have it yet, the book Flexner on Finishing is a good read.

Does anybody know the thickness of the wood used on the aftermarket drawers? Seems to me the bottoms are probably 3/8ths thick but I think I can get away with 1/4" on the sides. Then rout 1/8th inch passes in each direction for vented sides and back.
I'm not familiar with the aftermarket drawers but depending on the overall size of the drawer, ¼-inch sides could be a bit on the thin side. Typical drawer bottoms are ¼ inch for something like a dresser drawer, down to ⅛ inch for smaller draws, as in a jewelry box.