What's new

Cigar Aficionado’s Top 25 of 2009

n.olson

Veteran Eccentric
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
That is wild they only smoke the 1st third. Cigars change so much during the smoke that doesn't even seem like a review. I have smoked plenty of sticks that start off good and get harsh after the first third to the point I don't enjoy them
totally agree. my history with the RP OWR was a tar mess after the first third. can't tell that about a cigar by pussyfooting around with it.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
That is wild they only smoke the 1st third. Cigars change so much during the smoke that doesn't even seem like a review. I have smoked plenty of sticks that start off good and get harsh after the first third to the point I don't enjoy them
I agree 100%. When I review a cigar for my blog I typically like to smoke at least 3 to get an overall idea of what the cigar is about.

I just don't see how you can possibly get an accurate rating on a cigar from just 1/3 of one cigar.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
First third of each cigar, yes.

~brooks
If thats true then I am sure there are some cigar makers aware of this and have put together some blends w/that in mind. A strong rating in the CA top 25 is worth alot of money to a cigar maker. So they could easily pull the wool over the eyes of CA with a very good tasting first 1/3 and lousy rest of cigar.

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I think they shouldput a list of the top 50 together and open it up for voting to decide. You would more likely than not get a better, more accurate list.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
even thou this list is skewed most years it never fails to be a catalyst for some interesting discussion... both here and at my local B&M.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I think they shouldput a list of the top 50 together and open it up for voting to decide. You would more likely than not get a better, more accurate list.
I see your point. But if the majority ruled, we'd have a ton of Macanudos, and NC H. Upmann, R&J, and Cohibas in the top 10 (those are among the best selling cigars in the US).

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I agree 100%. When I review a cigar for my blog I typically like to smoke at least 3 to get an overall idea of what the cigar is about.

I just don't see how you can possibly get an accurate rating on a cigar from just 1/3 of one cigar.
I'm with you on that Tim, I will always smoke 3 before I determine whether or not I like it.

And usually that's within a 30 day window, not 3 in one day or 3 in a week.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I would love to try a VSG at that price...they're about $35 up here in the land of excessive taxes. We don't get much to choose from in the $11 range.
Holy Crap!?! :bigeyes:

I knew your taxes were high but not that much?!? Wow, I better bring my own for sure on Friday when I head up to Vancouver!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Here is the Cigar Insider list, no ranking, no TAT's at all. Not sure if the top 25 will all be from this list or not, but an interesting read.

http://www.asteroid-b612.org/docs/CI-122209.pdf
Very interesting, thanks for that article. I'm not sure how they figure out the ranking for The List. For example, the RP Decade was the top ranked cigar on CI last year, but I think it was at the bottom of The List. I know that CA has their own tastings/rankings along with CI, but it seems they try to do different sticks (CA did the Padilla Miami and I think it got a 94, and the LFD Salomon got a 95).

I really hope the Padilla 1932 makes the list, as that's one of my favorites. Though in a way maybe it would be better if it didn't, lol. I think it made it in a previous year, actually, my memory is not what it was before I had kids!

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Figures they would have a Rocky Patel in the mix.. He advertises more than anyone else! Shite cigar! Everyone knows CA bases their ratings on advertising. You want a higher rating, advertise more. No offense, but thats why I read ECCJ. Better magazine and don't have to read 150 pages of adds ofr golf, planes, watches and vacations.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Figures they would have a Rocky Patel in the mix.. He advertises more than anyone else! Shite cigar! Everyone knows CA bases their ratings on advertising. You want a higher rating, advertise more. No offense, but thats why I read ECCJ. Better magazine and don't have to read 150 pages of adds ofr golf, planes, watches and vacations.
I agree with you 100% Bill, I grab a copy from my B&M everytime they have one available.