What's new

Flavor profiles more distinct in CCs?

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
This is an interesting statement. It sounds awful definitive (I can't for the life of me figure out what word I'm looking for here), though. I mean if it were truly "lost" then would people even still refer to the individual marca's flavors anymore? I guess I'll be putting my words to the test with Kirk's little bet, but I have trouble believing someone thinks that Bolivar or Partagas, just for examples, flavors have disappeared. Or am I misreading the statement? To say that they've lost SOME of their distinction I'm sure could be argued (I wouldn't know as my frame of reference is late 90's and beyond), but to simply say that the distinct flavors are gone seems an overstatement to me.

I agree. While I have not been smoking CC's since the 80's I think that they have became more homogenized since they started up switching all the factory codes. The 04 to current cigars smoke better when young now. (in general) But I don't feel that they are aging as well.:frown:

Also from the blind reviews that have been done on this site, as well as from what I have seen on others. Reviewers are not having a very high rate of pegging the cigars that they sample?
Homogenized seems to cover what was being conveyed to me. I've only been smoking them for about 12 years so I'm really not an expert in this area. Can I tell the difference in marcas perhaps but a band can have a powerful effect on how you perceive taste. Just my 2 cents.

Rating - 100%
62   0   1
Now, this sounds like a really fun and interesting little challenge. Nice to see this going on. I'll be keeping an eye on this from afar, wishing I was one tenth knowledgeable enough to participate!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes sense that a NC would have a more defined flavor profile, because they can use tobacco from just about anywhere they want to. Not the same for CC (unless you believe the theory that Cuban buys tobacco from other counties).

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Package hit yesterday. :thumbsup: Haven't opened it up yet, just tossed into the cooler as I didn't have any spare time yesterday. Excited about this.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Package hit yesterday. :thumbsup: Haven't opened it up yet, just tossed into the cooler as I didn't have any spare time yesterday. Excited about this.
WOW!!

That was fast. I just checked everyones tracking numbers and it appears that they all arrived yesterday:thumbsup:

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
This is an interesting statement. It sounds awful definitive (I can't for the life of me figure out what word I'm looking for here), though. I mean if it were truly "lost" then would people even still refer to the individual marca's flavors anymore? I guess I'll be putting my words to the test with Kirk's little bet, but I have trouble believing someone thinks that Bolivar or Partagas, just for examples, flavors have disappeared. Or am I misreading the statement? To say that they've lost SOME of their distinction I'm sure could be argued (I wouldn't know as my frame of reference is late 90's and beyond), but to simply say that the distinct flavors are gone seems an overstatement to me.
Perhaps it depends on the marca. I agree that, to me, some marcas have a distinct flavor (when rolled correctly and with at least a little rest on them), such as Bolivar, Partagas, Cohiba, Trinidad, HdM, maybe others. But then there are some marcas which taste rather "generic Cuban" to me, though my experience with them is limited.

I did just have a Bolivar RC, though, that was definately off. It tasted very generic until the last third, and even then it was only a hint of that Boli profile.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I can see that for some degree. There are certainly some Marcas that IMHO have more distinct flavor profiles that are easier to pick out than others. Of course some of that is going to be experience with said Marca as well.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Kirk mine arrived yesterday at the inlaws and I think there at the house now! Time to start smoking tomorrow and certain size to start with? or are they numbered? haven't seem them yet.....

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
How do you want to handle this Kirk? Do you want us to send you our guesses via PM?
I've been thinking about that myself?

Do you guys just want to do 1 cigar at a time. 1-5 and have me reveal each cigar after everyones review has been posted?

Maybe instead of sending the reviews to me. I'll start a thread in the Habano review section. Something like blind review cigar No.1,2 all the way through 5 and you guys can just post your reviews in there. That way if you want to edit anything you may have forgotten, you can. But if you guys would rather send them to me. I'll post them all at 1 time. Either way works.

PS: I'll be out of town over Memorial day weekend and away from the computer.

Last edited:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I've been thinking about that myself?

Do you guys just want to do 1 cigar at a time. 1-5 and have me reveal each cigar after everyones review has been posted?

Maybe instead of sending the reviews to me. I'll start a thread in the Habano review section. Something like blind review cigar No.1,2 all the way through 5 and you guys can just post your reviews in there. That way if you want to edit anything you may have forgotten, you can. But if you guys would rather send them to me. I'll post them all at 1 time. Either way works.

PS: I'll be out of town over Memorial day weekend and away from the computer.
How every you want to do this is fine with me. I'm not a really big reviewer, so any "review" I do will probably be short and to the point, focusing on mainly whether or not I recognize the Marca. And this could be a plus/minus for either you or us, depending, but the only reason I asked if you wanted them sent to you was that I figured you wouldn't want others' reviews affecting the other folks who hadn't yet smoked/reviewed the stick. Your party though, bro'! Just let us know how to proceed.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
How every you want to do this is fine with me. I'm not a really big reviewer, so any "review" I do will probably be short and to the point, focusing on mainly whether or not I recognize the Marca. And this could be a plus/minus for either you or us, depending, but the only reason I asked if you wanted them sent to you was that I figured you wouldn't want others' reviews affecting the other folks who hadn't yet smoked/reviewed the stick. Your party though, bro'! Just let us know how to proceed.
Good point Jason

Go ahead and send each review/guess to me. I'll post them and reveal the cigar when I get all three reviews in.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi Kirk,

They have found them. Will start to review them in Cuba next week.

So we are clear, these are all regular production correct?

Thanks again for allowing me to participate. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I'm done w number 1 and can say the whole way thru I changed my mind and went back and forth at least 7-8 times.....