What's new

Flavor profiles more distinct in CCs?

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Hi Kirk,

They have found them. Will start to review them in Cuba next week.

So we are clear, these are all regular production correct?

Thanks again for allowing me to participate. Looking forward to seeing the results.
Good to hear they found them. I was getting a little worried for you.

2 of the cigars are no longer in current production as they were discontinued back in 2009.

I'm going to lower the odds here. If you can bat .600 and guess 3 out of the 5 marcas you win.:grin: 1 of them is kind of a curveball that I don't expect you to get.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Wow. Have to say I'm happy about the lowered odds. I'm smoking #1 right now and I'm starting to think this was a good bet on your part.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Wow. Have to say I'm happy about the lowered odds. I'm smoking #1 right now and I'm starting to think this was a good bet on your part.
Got your PM with a quick review and guess. When I get the other 2 in I'll post all 3 of them and reveal the cigar.:grin:

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Got em

As soon as I get a quick review and guess from Maverickdrinker. I'll reveal cigar No.1:yes:

Last edited:

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Keep the reviews and guesses coming

FYI: I'll be out of town and away from the computer from Thursday the 26th through Tues the 31st.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Here is a bet I'm willing to offer up.

I'll send you 5 unbanded Cuban cigars to review on this site.

If you nail 4 out of the 5 cigars marca's. I'll give you major props and eat crow.

If you cant peg at least 4 out of the 5 you re-emburse me for the cigars. I'll ship for free, as I would like to see more blind reviews posted on this forum.

Shoot me a PM if you want to take me up on this offer? I'll review the applicants and pick 2 BOTL's for this challange.

FYI Maverickdrinker and Jwrussell will get priority though
Just read this thread...:thumbsup:brother!! Very nice and I will enjoy reading how this goes. I too just started smoking CC's last Sept. I still have alot to learn with these but there are some I've found to be fantastic and some that I find to be just fair. I find I favor the nutty, and coffee nuinces the most. When it come to a more full cigar I still like my NC's better but NC's don't have anything on that flavor profile I really enjoy. I hope to find more CC's in that (nutty, and coffee) respect.

Last edited:

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I'll right guys!!

I'm leaving town after work today. Will return June 1st.

Just go ahead and PM me your guesses if you get the chance.

Have a good Memorial day weekend

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
just finished the 1st cigar. PM sent to hot sauce and Jwrussell to compare notes.
Well, let's just say that if you are correct, I'm going to owe Kirk cigars for sure! LOL.

I smoked the second cigar yesterday and I'm feeling less and less sure of myself as we progress. Still mulling over that cigar.

I will say, both of the first two smokes have been great. Maybe I should unband all my smokes! ;)

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This exercise makes you really pay attention to the cigars as you smoke them. I like the fact that I am taking my time to evaluate the cigar and thinking through what I am tasting.

Great suggestion Kirk. This is been real educational. Can't wait to see if the guesses are close to the real thing.

Tnt Cigarguy

BoM Jan 12
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
This exercise makes you really pay attention to the cigars as you smoke them. I like the fact that I am taking my time to evaluate the cigar and thinking through what I am tasting.

Great suggestion Kirk. This is been real educational. Can't wait to see if the guesses are close to the real thing.

This is one of the best ways to smoke imho. Myself and a bunch of my friends do this all the time and it is truly amazing how many cigars you will enjoy that you would not other wise. Cant wait to see the guesses and answers.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Cigar No.1 is a 2008 Partagas Petit Coronas Especial

Mavirickdrinkers review & guess for cigar No.1

Hey guys,

My guess is that the 1st cigar is a bolivar petit corona/bonitas.

Here is my review.

Thanks for letting me participate. Cigar #2 this afternoon.

Cigar #1

Size: Mareva
Colour: Colorado brown with a reddish hue.
Smoking time: 1 hour

Well constructed cigar. Slightly spongy however, no real soft spots. Triple cap is finished nicely. Foot is well packed.

A sniff of the cigar brings hints of cedar and earthiness. It reminds me of a bolivar petit corona/bonitas? however the color doesn’t look as dark as previous ones I have smoked. Will be interesting to see how this smokes.

First third
A quick hole by my cigar punch and it is time to fire it up. The cigar has a firm draw, just the way I like it. Initial puffs bring a heavy earthiness with cedar overtones. A hint of sweetness goes with the Cuban twang that is so admired of Cuban cigars. There are some faint leather overtones.

Second third
Earthiness is more pronounced and the woodiness of the cigar is becoming more imminent. Very consistent throughout the second third. The burn line is excellent. I will guess that this has been aged for a few (2 to 4) years? The sweetness is still there however, hints of chocolate seems to appear now and then.

Final Third
This last bit packs a punch. Surprisingly bolder than the initial thirds. The sweetness is less pronounced and the earthiness and woodiness of the cigar is shining brightly.

Final thoughts
Very enjoyable cigar. Well constructed and excellent burn. This cigar has been well taken care of. The flavours didn’t change too much in the cigar vs. the strength of the cigar was surprising. It shows the characteristics of a Bolivar Petit Corona/Bonita.

Jwrussell's revieiw & Guess for cigar No.1:

Hot sweaty day on the Florida room listening to Game 4 of the Lightning-Bruins series. Go Bolts!

Best I can tell, this cigar falls into the broad “Petit Corona” category in Cuban cigar vitolas. The exact measurements as best I can tell are 132 mm, 42 ring guage. That length doesn’t work for any particular cigar, but that really doesn’t say anything as I’ve measured other known cigars before and come up with measurements that don’t quite fit what the standard for that cigar is. The cigar is fairly dark and mottled with some somewhat prominent veins. I paired this cigar with a Diet Coke and some Makers Mark 46.

This won’t be a review with hints of this, and notes of that. I don’t have a palette good enough for that. The pre-light draw was good: easy, but not overly so. No major construction flaws were apparent, but there were some bumps here and there. Overall, and I’m not sure, but the look of the cigar reminds me of some Fonsecas I’ve had in the past.

I can say certain Marcas this cigar is not (or at least I think so, haha), and it is possible this is not a Marca I am familiar with, but it didn't jump out at me and say, "Hey, I'm an xxxxx!" I can be fairly positive it is not a Bolivar or Partagas. Not earthy enough for either. It is also not a Cohiba or Trinidad as I believe those cigars taste like “cousins” in the cigar world and I don’t taste those flavor profiles. I would also say it is not a Monte. Going further out on the guessing limb, I’m going with not an HDM, Hoyo or Punch either, though I would be kidding myself if I tried to convince myself that was anything more than a guess.

The burn was mostly even with just a couple of touch-ups needed. Almost went out once, but that was my fault…taking notes instead of smoking, hehe. There was a nice kind of “sweetness” throughout the cigar that I really enjoyed. I didn’t notice much in the way of evolution in the cigar though. Overall, an hour and a half’s enjoyable smoke.

I certainly can’t say with any conviction that I know what this cigar was, but I’m going to go with Fonseca as the Marca.

Jolietilfire's Guess & review for cigar No.1:

130x42
Spice, nutty, sweetness, woodyness, leather on back end.
1st thought H. Up pc
My final guess
ERDM lunch club