What's new

Help: should I buy this?

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Personally, I'd stay away from it with so much glass...first of all the sealing issues around the glass could end up being a constant bother. I'd also worry, probably just me, about too much light - can't be good for long term aging....??? maybe I'm wrong, but that's my opinion...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just because something seems like a good deal, it doesn't mean that it's a good deal for you.

If your collection is growing faster than you can smoke them (I mean really faster) than a large capacity humidor is probably the smart buy. if you're still growing at a reasonable pace then you will probably never fill it and it was money wasted. It looks nice, but do you really need it?
I agree. And from what you've said it doesn't sound like you've got the budget to fill it anytime soon (who would???).

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Just because something seems like a good deal, it doesn't mean that it's a good deal for you.

If your collection is growing faster than you can smoke them (I mean really faster) than a large capacity humidor is probably the smart buy. if you're still growing at a reasonable pace then you will probably never fill it and it was money wasted. It looks nice, but do you really need it?
I agree too, I would just never fill it up, I would be dead from my wife beating me over the head with what every she could find. If you think you can fill it go for it.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Careful Brother, it would cost $20,000 to fill that bad boy easy.

Okay, Brothers, I need your help on this one.

Someone is selling a Pendergast Humidor (similar to: http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Features/CA_Feature_Basic_Template/0,2344,12,00.html)

It's a 3500-4000ct custom made cabinet, according to a JC Pendergast appraisal it would cost roughly $4500 to build it right now if I ordered something just like this. Note the actual picture at the bottom.

He's offering it to me for $875.

Now this is about twice what I was hoping to pay for a cabinet, but more than twice the capacity and probably four times the quality.

Even if I do want to go for it, one huge problem is that it's about 6-7 hours away in northern IL. I'm not sure how I'd get the thing.

It certainly looks awesome, and I'm tempted because of the "amazing deal" aspect, but I'm also thinking is just a lot "more" than I need at this point.

What do you guys think? Is it worth figuring out a way to get this deal, or is it just so much more humi than I need that I should pass?

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Thanks for so much help here, fellas. I've decided to pass on this one (if you want his email, let me know!). It's an awesome cabinet, but it's just too big.

I'll keep on the lookout for the "right" one, and until then my bursting tupperware should suffice :)

Thanks for saving me some serious buyer's remorse on this one, guys! You're the best :)

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
If anyone's driving down to TX, can they pick it up for me? That's exactly what I've been looking for.