What's new

Hygrometer trouble.

Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Okay I know humidity has been discussed a thousand times on here but I wanted to post my specific problem. I have a 150ct. CAO CX2 humi with a cigar oasis and a diamond crown hygro for good measure. The problem I'm having is taht while my cigar oasis will read something like 72%, my diamond crown will read 62%. Big jump there. My sticks do seem to be a little dry. After a week or two in there they lose some of their texture and pliability. On top of that when I open the lid I don't seem to be getting as much of that great tobacco smell that I used to. So little to no smell, hard sticks, rough wrapper, still a great taste but I feel I could get more. My humi's shelf is just above the outlet on the cigar oasis so I'm thinking that it's screwing with circulation and readings, but it's such a small humi that I don't see how circulation could be a problem. Should I trash the CO and go with a Hydra?

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
First off I think you need to calibrate those hygrometers and see where they fall in relation to each other. Secondly, I'd think a CO is overkill for that humidor, but that's just me, Viper beads would suit you better I think. I've got two 120ct coolerdors that hold perfect 65% with just beads. It does sound like you're a little dry.

Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Yeah I think the inside dimensions of the humi are 8"X12"X12". I did have beads in there at one point but I had a problem with some of my sticks being too moist and some were just right. Caused a lot of uneven burning. And what is the best way to calibrate my hygrometers? I heard about "salt kits" do you know where to buy them?

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
i have used the CO in large desktops with great results. but these were custom desktops that were designed around the use of a Cigar Oasis. Your tray could be the cause of the problem.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I heard about "salt kits" do you know where to buy them?
http://www.cigarmony.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=7

I am having a similar issue with th COXL reading being 5-10% different from the othe Hygros in my Fridgeador. I think my issue is circulation and humidity pockets, so I am orderinf additional fans. I think in a humi your size, yout tray is gettin saturated with moisture, because is is sitting right on top of the exhaust fan for the CO. I'm really surprised you had issues with the beads, maybe you need multiple small tubes of beads in different parts of the humi. Also be sure not to over moisten the beads, I've noticed similar issues if I add too much weater to them.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
take the tray out, and see if that evens things off. you should test your hygros. Humidipak has the calibration bag, or you can use a BOveda in an airtight container. Compare the reading of your calibrated hygro to the reading on the Cigar Oasis.

Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
I did put multiple tubes of beads spaced equally apart. Maybe I'll just try taking the tray out. But that means I'll have to get one of my other humis up and going. Does anyone know when the hydra group buy is happening?

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
the seasoning pack is set at 84% humidity. you want to calibrate at a humidity level that is closer to what you actually use for your cigars. so a 65,69, or 72 would be best. the calibration bag uses a 75.5% humidipak which is the industry standard for calibrating hygrometers.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Yep, I like to calibrate mine with a 65% pack as that's where I like to keep my cigars. I don't use a Ziploc though as they are still somewhat permeable, instead if you can get a Mason jar, that way it's see through so you don't have to open it to read the hygrometer and also they're very air tight. Leave it in for a couple days though as opposed to the 8-12 hours you read about online.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
I am going through a similar problem with my bosses humidor that we bought him. I believe that I have corrected the problem, but we will see on Monday. Added some beads into his. I am not sure if his humidor was seasoned correctly, as I am not the one who did it. If need be, I will re do it and get it up and running myself.

Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Ah ha. Okay so I took the tray out, got new hygro batteries, and added two more hygrometers to the humidor. Now all three are reading 63-64% and the CO is reading 75%. Wich is what the diamond crown was reading prior to the tray removal. I'll keep an eye on it for a few days to see what happens. Do you think I should leave the tray out or should I just chalk this one up to a faulty CO.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
They hygrometers on the CO's are really not very accurate at all, mines about 8% off. I think the tray was your trouble.
Wade's right about the digital hygrometer on the Cigar Oasis...I have one humidifying my Avanti and it's off by almost 10%. I just use a separate, small hygrometer (Prometheus) that was calibrated with a Boveda calibration kit. I placed the Boveda bag inside another ziplock just to be sure it was well sealed...left it in for 48 hours to get the reading.

I then adjusted the CO to read 75% RH, which is actually 65% by the tested Prometheus, and all is well.

Using a CO does seem to be a little overkill for a desktop, but if it works, great. Use a Boveda calibration kit to test your Diamond Crown, then use the Diamond Crown to "test" the CO's digital readout. Adjust the CO reading to compensate for the difference and voila, you're set.

I agree that shelves in a desktop, while very handy, do impede the moisture level, so I'd remove it and just stack up your sticks in the main compartment. RH levels in an enclosed unit can vary from shelf to shelf and even from front to back on the same level...I found this to be the case with my Avanti and my cabinet unit. I just looked at the RH readings for my expensive cabinet and the top drawer is at 66%, the middle shelf is at 67% and the bottom level is at 63%. As long as they remain fairly constant, I'm okay with that. I used to obsess over it, but not anymore.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
c'mon, you already know the answer...LOL.

if its between all 3, the Accumonitor is going to do a much better job. even with just 1 canister, the Accumonitor humidifier has much more output than the CO or Hydra. The ability to place the sensor seperate from the humidity canister is another major differance. Better recalibration feature, and fan timers are 2 more features that seperate the Accumonitor from the smaller, desktop based humidifiers. if between the CO and Hydra, The Hydra wins.