What's new

Hygrometer trouble.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
if you put an accumonitor 10-20 in there, you will have about $1250-$1300 into your cabinet. Call me up and we can talk about an Avallo TD.

Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
I saw your avallo TD and decided against it because this humi comes with all the things you charge extra for (by which I mean shelves, beveled glass and so on). But if you want to work something out I've got no problem buying from you.

Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
What the f***!!!!!!:argh: :angerhead These smiley's don't do my frustration justice. So I raised the CO until it read 75.5%. So now 3 out of the 4 other digis in there read the same and my diamond crown is still at 67%. DAMN IT!!! The two that read the same as the CO are generic hygros and my sticks still seem dry. I am getting a little more tobacco smell though. I know my cigars aren't just going to spring back to life but this hygrometer shit is really starting to get irritating. Should I just go back to beads?

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Gregg, I'm reading through all this trying to come up with a solution. Now I just get to thinking if you're not over thinking things. Reason I say this is, you said it's a 150ct humidor, and you have a CO and 4 hygrometers in there? I don't say this as a rip by any means, but is there a chance with that many hygrometers (and we all know that hygrometers vary) that you just have too much information and it's all getting confusing? Just thinking out loud here. Get a bunch of beads and give them a try, remembering that with beads, surface are is paramount. You can have 2lbs of beads in that humidor, but if they're in a container with a small surface area, they will be less effective than 1lb of beads that are spread out with more surface are.

Again, just thinking out loud here.

Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Yeah I realize that I'm using too many hygros (just put them in there two days ago) but you would think they would still be somewhat consistent. And if not, which one do I go with. I like to think my diamond crown is the one that is spot on, but the generics are making me think otherwise.

CO: 78%
Diamond crown: 67%
generic: 72%
generic#2: 71%

Yeah I guess I'll just go back to beads. I was using about 4 cigar sized sticks of beads and the humidity was at about a consistent 70% all the time, but I had burn problems with some of my cigars. I guess I'll just go back to trying that.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I keep my beads in these flat rectangular trays, the one in my desktop is about 2 1/2" wide by 7" long, the beads are about 1" deep in there. In my coolerdors, I have them in similar trays, but they measure 6"x9" and same depth. Of course too, the more full that humidor is, the more stable it will be.

Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Oh my humidor is cram packed. No problem there. I'm just freaking because I have a bunch of padron 40ths, 80ths, ashton ESGs, and so on. I'm trying to get a nice collection to age.

Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
try the 65% beads, cured my burn issues
Will do.

The sticks I had said "use tap water only" on them. I'm guessing I should completely ignore that and use distilled right? I've always used distilled for everything but the beads. I mean the beads don't contain some chemical that magically changes tap water into something worth using right?

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Yeah I realize that I'm using too many hygros (just put them in there two days ago) but you would think they would still be somewhat consistent. And if not, which one do I go with. I like to think my diamond crown is the one that is spot on, but the generics are making me think otherwise.

CO: 78%
Diamond crown: 67%
generic: 72%
generic#2: 71%
Gregg, you have to calibrate your hygrometers...until you do that, you're just guessing. Get a Boveda calibration pack and test them, then you'll know exactly what your RH level is. Trust me on this one! :smokingco

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I know, I know... Squid is just "different"... <G> But I keep my main humidor (around 600 cigar capacity; usually around 3/4 full) between 55% and 60% RH. I hardly ever add any water except in winter when the heater has to run. As far as the hygrometer goes, I use the old-fashioned Salt Test to get calibration on the digitals (and I usually run two tests about a week apart for a new hygrometer) and that does it. I notice that in the 84 quart Igloo Squid-A-Dor, if I have a hygrometer at the top and one at the bottom of the cooler, they read differently, even with two Oust fans providing air circulation. Temperature and barometric pressure effect hygrometers also... Bottom line is that I pretty much stopped worrying about RH levels once the humidor was a year old and cigars were consistent during that time period.

Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Gregg, you have to calibrate your hygrometers...until you do that, you're just guessing. Get a Boveda calibration pack and test them, then you'll know exactly what your RH level is. Trust me on this one! :smokingco

I already ordered the calibration kit. Just waiting for it to get here.