What's new

Kitty Litter

rev.b

Master of Mayhem * BoM 1/14
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
My fresh step crystals say unscented. No scent maintains 65/66% one or two sprays with distilled water but I won't need it soon got like 8 lbs left guess I need to send u another box???

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Haha, no bro! I'm good. I'll grab a bag tomorrow. The cost to ship KL is probably more than what it's worth! We got a new Petsmrt here a couple weeks ago. Need an excuse to go there.

-KK33-

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Should have found and read this first. The one I bought definitely has a scent when spritzed with water. I guess I'm off to Petsmart to get the exquisicat.
For what it's worth I have noticed a slight aroma when rehydrating both beads and KL. It's not a fragrance or perfume kind of smell, but it's there and it's pretty faint. Doesn't seem to effect my cigars.

Dan

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Thx guys. I ended up finding the Mimi at Walmert. Picked up a 120qt too. Put all my sealed boxes in there and got er set at 66% 68F. Should be G2G! Again, thanks for the help fellas, much appreciated.

-KK33-

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
404   0   0
Should have found and read this first. The one I bought definitely has a scent when spritzed with water. I guess I'm off to Petsmart to get the exquisicat.

(List is meant to be updated. If you have any experience with other litter brands, good or bad, please pass along your knowledge and I'll add it to the list.)

I feel it's a good idea to post a list of brands "acceptable for use with cigars" for all who wish to begin using cat litter to control humidity in your humidor. Or for anyone who might need to switch brands. The list will not be in any particular order and I don't intend to get into all the "how to" aspects of this subject. I only want to point out the specific brand Kitty Litter products that can safely be re-purposed for use in our humidors. I will edit this list in the future with input from members and/or my own experience. I will update the list as needed here in my first post. Feel free to recommend, or advise against specific brands. If you have experience with and can testify that a particular brand and type is ok to use, or if a particular brand is not ok to use, please share your knowledge. (Please be specific in your descriptions and provide pictures if you can)

"GOOD" cat litter: #1. ExquisiCat® Crystals Fragrance Free Cat Litter (This litter is most often mentioned as used by members on this forum. Found at PestSmart. Large granules = less dust. There are two kinds. Make sure you get the "Fragrance Free" and not the "Lavender" scented.)

"GOOD" cat litter #2. Mimi Litter, Cat Litter (found at walmart) (Members have been using this litter with good results. Pro: No apparent scent. Con: Small granules = more dusty.)

"GOOD" cat litter #3. Crystal Clear Litter Pearls (Original) Crystal Clear, by Ultra Pet. Recommended by forum member KingoftheCove. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HWE6F0/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"GOOD" Cat Litter #4 Amazing Cat Litter (Recommended by forum member ehehat)
Available at LOTS of grocery stores. Check out all the stores listed on their website. http://www.amazingcatlitter.com/where-to-buy.html
This is the ideal label information. 100% silica & Odor Free.

"BAD" cat litter:
#1. Fresh Step Crystals. (Found at WalMart) (Does not mention scented or unscented anywhere on the bag and doesn't seem to have any odor but after spritzing with distilled water it has a noticeable "air freshener" scent.)

"BAD" cat litter #2. Dr. Elsey's Long Hair Cat Litter, Available at PetSmart. (I haven't tried this and only included it as an example of things to watch out for. Hopefully you would know to avoid this silica cat litter because it states on the front of the jug/container, “herbal attractant”. What is “herbal attractant”? Is it catnip? It could make your cigars irresistible to your cat and then how will you explain all your cat’s burns to the vet? )

-KK33-
Great post Doug!

Thanks for the awesome summary of the brands that are out there! If anyone needs help getting set up I am always happy to lend a hand.

Yes, there can be some "interesting" comments that get thrown out when the kitty litter discussion comes up but I have learned to just let it go. Mostly because I have used it for a couple of years now and I couldn't be happier with the results. Those that joke about it have generally never used it so it's hard for me to get very upset about what they say. They can do what they want with their cigars and I'll do what I want with mine. My coolers stay rock solid at 65% with almost zero maintenance. Life is good......

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Thx Rupe. Of course I stole it from the interweb. But nonetheless, I thought it could be useful. I also thought we had a Petsmart, but alas it was a Petco.

-KK33-

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've posted it in other threads (I think) and I'll post it here, too. Exquisicat keeps me rock solid at 67%. My "method" is to take a section of nylon stocking or pantyhose, tie off one end, pour in the crystals so as to make a porous bag measuring about two inches in diameter, and trimming off the other end as needed to achieve that size. I dunk the bag into some distilled water (reveling in the sizzly sound it makes as the water soaks in), put that bag into a small Glad plastic container, like, just a little bigger than ramakin size, and put that container into the humidor (I have a small cabinet, in addition to three desktops, so I actually have three in the cabinet). I don't use the container lid, but you could punch some holes in the lid that comes with the little Glad container and put it on. Every so often, I check the bags, give 'em a li'l squeeze, shake 'em up, rotate 'em around, make sure they're still damp. If one gets dry, I give it another dunking. Like a previous poster, I have a good thirteen or so pounds of litter sitting on a shelf-- I have no idea how often I would expect to change out the litter, but it's been over a year with the first iteration and, like I said, I am solid and unvarying at 67%. The only disconcerting effect is that my cats all sit in front of the cabinet humidor, staring longingly at it...

Rating - 100%
11   0   0

(List is meant to be updated. If you have any experience with other litter brands, good or bad, please pass along your knowledge and I'll add it to the list.)

I feel it's a good idea to post a list of brands "acceptable for use with cigars" for all who wish to begin using cat litter to control humidity in your humidor. Or for anyone who might need to switch brands. The list will not be in any particular order and I don't intend to get into all the "how to" aspects of this subject. I only want to point out the specific brand Kitty Litter products that can safely be re-purposed for use in our humidors. I will edit this list in the future with input from members and/or my own experience. I will update the list as needed here in my first post. Feel free to recommend, or advise against specific brands. If you have experience with and can testify that a particular brand and type is ok to use, or if a particular brand is not ok to use, please share your knowledge. (Please be specific in your descriptions and provide pictures if you can)

"GOOD" cat litter: #1. ExquisiCat® Crystals Fragrance Free Cat Litter (This litter is most often mentioned as used by members on this forum. Found at PestSmart. Large granules = less dust. There are two kinds. Make sure you get the "Fragrance Free" and not the "Lavender" scented.)

"GOOD" cat litter #2. Mimi Litter, Cat Litter (found at walmart) (Members have been using this litter with good results. Pro: No apparent scent. Con: Small granules = more dusty.)

"GOOD" cat litter #3. Crystal Clear Litter Pearls (Original) Crystal Clear, by Ultra Pet. Recommended by forum member KingoftheCove. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HWE6F0/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"GOOD" Cat Litter #4 Amazing Cat Litter (Recommended by forum member ehehat)
Available at LOTS of grocery stores. Check out all the stores listed on their website. http://www.amazingcatlitter.com/where-to-buy.html
This is the ideal label information. 100% silica & Odor Free.

"BAD" cat litter:
#1. Fresh Step Crystals. (Found at WalMart) (Does not mention scented or unscented anywhere on the bag and doesn't seem to have any odor but after spritzing with distilled water it has a noticeable "air freshener" scent.)

"BAD" cat litter #2. Dr. Elsey's Long Hair Cat Litter, Available at PetSmart. (I haven't tried this and only included it as an example of things to watch out for. Hopefully you would know to avoid this silica cat litter because it states on the front of the jug/container, “herbal attractant”. What is “herbal attractant”? Is it catnip? It could make your cigars irresistible to your cat and then how will you explain all your cat’s burns to the vet? )

-KK33-
Thank you for this. Helping in my stumbling through my wineador project....

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have been using Exquisicat for 3 years now and I can set it to whatever RH I want. It's a good product and means by which to calibrate RH in our humidors. Beads are good as well but for those who want to spend more for Beads that's just a choice we make. For those who like to poke a little fun at a product they don't really understand that's ok, too. I'll use the money I save to buy more cigars.