What's new

My Personal 18 bottle - Custom Everything - FINISHED!

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
UPDATE: Full write-up with drawer assembly tips and other details is now on my blog. Check it out!

Well fellas, the shoemaker has made himself some shoes!

Quick rundown:

Custom decal work on the door thanks to Keinreis... WOW!
Custom built humidification system - My own design.
Custom drawers built by me with exotic wood woven into the lattice work and bloodwood faces
Hardware handles
Custom interior lighting - this baby GLOWS!

now for the pics (stash included)

Let's start with a couple of before shots. First the old 12 bottle next to the new 18 bottle:

I started by looking at the workings of the cooling system. The condensation drain is in the middle of this unit and drains to a tray outside:

I used a rubber thread cap which fit snugly over the drain to seal the unit:

Once that was taken care of, I set about making some drawers. I wanted them to be unique, so I started with a woven lattice bottom, similar to some of the work I have done for others but with a twist.

The contrasting wood is peruvian Purpleheart.

I faced the drawers with Bloodwood and slid them into place.

Aluminum finish handles matched them to the door handle on the unit.

From here, i needed to solve for humidification. The beads are the only way to go IMO, but I wanted to not have to worry about them. I created a circulation box that the beads can live inside and that can hide the wiring for the lights that come up later.

There are a total of four fans blowing into the box and a vent at the back that forces the air to move up the back of the unit. The drawers are sized to allow for one inch in the rear of the unit where the air can move. Inside the box are some wires, and a couple pounds worth of 65% Heartfelt beads. David kicks a$$, so order your beads from him guys :)

Notice the illuminated fans did you? Don't worry, we'll get to the lighting in a moment!

With the drawers and humidification in place, I wanted to finish the fridge to look more like it was meant to be... and not just a fridge.

Keinreis was good enough to hook a brother up, and I mean seriously. I wanted something to hide the lights mounted to the inside of the door and something that shows my fandom for Fuente, Liga Privada, and Tatuaje, here are the shots of the finished product.

Overall:

Bottom:

Middle:

Top:

Now, to really set it off, I installed a series of cold cathode lighting units. These glow the same color blue as the LEDs in the fans. Everything runs off an old PC power supply I had laying around and only 2 ultra thin ribbon wires needed to come in from the outside.

Humidification box with wiring from exterior:

Cold cathode tubes mounted to door:

Interior shot with lights on from behind:

All finished in a lighted room:

All finished in a dark room:

The stash:

Thanks.

Last edited:

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
That looks amazing man, nice touch using the LED's! Reminds me of a computer kinda, now, lol. Great stash as well! I'm hoping to have a set up like that soon.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Mike, that looks great, you have really outdone yourself this time my friend! :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
First glance :clap:
Then.. :inlove:

Finally :drool:

Kind of like a great cigar. Except you customized it yourself. And the ash glows blue.. with nice logos.. and is one of a kind.. and.. brb tissue.

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
By far the nicest set up I've seen yet when it comes to a coolidor, would definitely like to do something similar to this when I eventually get one