What's new

My Personal 18 bottle - Custom Everything - FINISHED!

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Without a doubt, my favorite "home made" humidor I've seen on this site. Very creative, way to think outside the box! :clap: :thumbsup:

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Nice work indeed! Lmk how fast the beads change from clear to white with the fans being used. I know its in a closed enviroment but I have a little theory on it. My 1 vino with a oust fan over beads is dif then the other vino that has a oust fan away from the beads itself. Lmk
Thanks and once again Don said it best about the cover charge!

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. Was a labor of love and it is nice to be able to report that the unit is holding rock steady at 65% and 66 degrees.

A couple of items to mention:

The humidification setup is on a timer so it only runs for 10 minutes every hour and a half. The four fans each are set up to move about 6 cubic feet of air per minute. Barring blockages and such, they theoretically turn over the air in the box 3-5 times per minute that they run.

I'll be very interested to see how the beads work under these conditions as I also have a theory that they will behave very differently than how they did in a tray at the bottom of my 12 bottle. I do have about 3 ounces of beads in each drawer where no indirect airflow is happening. I know it's overkill, but to each their own right? Over time I'll be able to see if the supplemental beads are needed or not.

The box does take up some space (don't think I am gonna ignore you, brian :) ) but the bottom area has never appealed to me as a great place to store things. If it weren't the box, it'd be an open tray of beads about the same size anyways, so this doesn't feel like a sacrifice to me. (if I were using a 28 bottle, I might look at this space differently) Heck at the rate I am going, I'll need to upgrade again soon anyways.

Thanks again for your kind words everyone. This is such a great place to share our hobbies and enjoy the great company of folks who can appreciate a glowing wine fridge with us!

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Very very nice indeed! You have built the ultimate temperature and humidification controlled cigar storage unit. I might even steal one of your ideas and install a lighted fan in place of the original fan on my 28 btl. Vinotemp. I may also install a second in lieu of my Oust fan. Thank you for sharing.