What's new

Today’s Smoke - 2024

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Chainsmoking tonight.

I impulse bought a box of Charter Oak CT shade cigars. Cigarpage had em cheap, they seemed well received in the reviews I found, so I added it to an order.

Probably isn't fair to the cigar to be smoking it after a Pete Johnson cigar, but that's what happened.

Several touchups required, wide open draw, pretty flat single note flavor, loose flaky ash. It was cheap for a reason. I think the BDL CT I had yesterday was better. Didn't even smoke it to the band. Looks like father in law is getting a box of 19 cigars.

Edit: after smoking the other charter Oak 2 posts down, maybe I just got a dud. I'll have to try again. The broadleaf construction was perfect, and my complaints about the shade were all construction related so I'll have to give it another go

20240209_004031.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love “winter” in Texas. It’s been a great week to sit outside and enjoy some fine cigars. Three humidor stalwarts and a couple of newbies.

The Plasencia Alma Fuerte is my all time favorite and the Ashton VSG and the New World Dorado are both top 10 on my playlist.

It’s only my second Pasquale from Foundation Cigars, but it was very good. Excellent draw and burn. Deep rich flavor with chocolate being the most pronounced and consistent. Smoke was thick and creamy. No harshness. Just hints of spiciness/pepper to provide a nice balance to the flavor profile. Incredibly smooth.

This was my first West Tampa Red and I’m on the fence with this one. In fairness I only got through the first two thirds before being interrupted, but I’ve got four more in my humidor so it will get another try.

IMG_4753.jpegIMG_4760.jpegIMG_4772.jpegIMG_4776.jpegIMG_4778.jpeg

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Charter Oak CT broadleaf corona. This one was good. Really good. Construction/ burn flawless. Flavors are surprising to me. Initially hit with black pepper and a sting of cayenne in the back of my throat. Probably due to the closed foot, it subsided quickly. A creamy sweet taste and texture while still carrying a bit of black pepper is something I love in a well-aged broadleaf. But this box has an 07/2023 stamp on it so I'm surprised how much it tastes like an aged muted broadleaf. It may be the first broadleaf I've had that didn't come from the my father factory or saka tho. Smoked it down to an inch. Loved every minute. 20240209_013013.jpg

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Latelier travaillures before bed. Wasn't gonna since i already showered and changed clothes but it's 55 and sunny in Chicago on a February morning. I even opened the garage door.

Cigar isn't my favorite. It's made well but not the flavor profile I like. Dry, woody, a bit bitter. Reminds me of eating a walnut that still has the inner shell "paper" stuck in the folds. It's not unpleasant, it's close to good, but there's something there I just don't like.

20240209_082128.jpg