What's new

Upgrading my storage 2 options.

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Northwest Suburbs of the Windy City of Chicago
In order to speed things up, i bought some KL. i have some gladware containers in there now and hopefully in a few days time i have a stable RH. If i don't like how the KL is working ill be ordering beads. I just needed more space sooner rather than later.
Lol, sooner rather than later for sure!!! Bombs a droppin' hard startin' tomorrow!!!

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
404   0   0
In order to speed things up, i bought some KL. i have some gladware containers in there now and hopefully in a few days time i have a stable RH. If i don't like how the KL is working ill be ordering beads. I just needed more space sooner rather than later.
Let me know if you need some advice getting your KL set up. I've done it a few times and would be happy to walk you through it.

Rupe

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
mdwest sent me some info in a pm. basically set in in there with my hydro over night check it to see what the RH is. if it is still low mist with distilled water. let it rest over night again. if it is too low repeat. too high swap out "wet" with some new. At least that is how i read it. I will definitely be looking for help if that fails.

Thanks!

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Lol, sooner rather than later for sure!!! Bombs a droppin' hard startin' tomorrow!!!
Yes i know. My fiancee is shaking her head at me when i explain that to her. lol. I got a lot of catching up to do to even out my outgoing packages again.

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Northwest Suburbs of the Windy City of Chicago
Yes i know. My fiancee is shaking her head at me when i explain that to her. lol. I got a lot of catching up to do to even out my outgoing packages again.
Trust me our significant others will never understand our sickness!

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Oh shoosh. Take your beating. Some day pass it on to another n00b that you make friends with here or u can just bomb Rex.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Going to check the mini fridge tomorrow was holding rock solid at 65% rh today. Ill see what it looks like tomorrow and move some of my stash in there if it is still at 65%

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Got the RH stable at 66. Now i just have to figure what to put in there to keep the sticks on until I stop by the b&m and get some boxes. I would love to take the wire shelf out of it and make that a cedar ledge.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
thats pretty easy to do... plenty of places online sell spanish cedar boards (although they can be a bit expensive).. or you can go to a home depot or lowes and pick up some mahogany (SC is actually from the same family as mahogany.... and is NOT a cedar at all).. SC and traditional mahogany have very similar resin content and aroma (which is what drives insects away).. mahogany is more dense.. which makes it heavier.. and stronger.. which isnt a bad proposition since you intend on putting weight on it (not that cigars weigh much)..

cut to size.. slide it into the slots that the wire shelves are in...and voila! you have wood shelves...

both SC and mahogany are actually very easy woods to work with..

I'd leave the artisan stuff like drawers and trays to the professionals.. but shelves are far too easy to do on your own to pay someone else to do it.. unless you lack the tools and/or the time to do it..

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Well I went to three lumber yards in my area. None of them carried mahogany. Guess instead of wasting gas I'll let my fingers and phone do the searching. I found a lumber mill that does both with Spanish Cedar being the cheapest per board foot, but I have to wait two weeks till I am out that way to get it. Guess it gives me time to draw up plans. Was so excited to get to working on this.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
No Home Depot in the area?

My local HD carries mahogany in both plywood and in hardwood boards..

I made the shelves in my cabinet out of mahogany that I picked up there...

I bought a single 3/4" x 8" X 8' board.. and got four 20" x 8" shelves out of it..

Last edited:

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sure-Wood-Forest-Products-1-x-6-x-6-African-Mahogany-S4S-Premium-Hardwood-Board-326160/203667641#.UZobO0pz7vg

ships free if you order enough of it :)

Dont know if you have the right tools to work with the 1x6x6 (would probably need to split the wood into 1/2" boards rather than 1" to get it to fit in your wire rack slots).. but Im guessing your fridge isnt much deeper than 12" inside.. you could probably cut to length.. then just slide two 6" deep pieces in there.. and have a 12" deep shelf..

they also sell 8 foot and 10 foot boards online (same free shipping deal.. just have to order $45 worth)...

for all the trouble.. I would probably just see if Forrest could do it for you though.. Im betting he would make a couple of basic slide in shelves for you for less than $45.. and you wouldnt have to DIY..

I just got my new trays from Forest for my cabinet this weekend... couldnt be happier with the quality of the work...