What's new

How's your day going?

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Today is a lot better then yesterday, as I had a root canal and a temp crown done :nailbiting: To be on the safe side I am not smoking cigars till sat. night:banghead:
Heal quickly, Mark. Tomorow is Saturday!

I had a good time last night with my GF, and a couple dudes named Keith and Mick.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Interesting day at the office...

We had problems with our in-house accountant last year and he was unceremoniously walked out the door last July. We actually requested that the local police be on hand for this since he was quite proud of his CCW status and had made some veiled threats against a couple of our customer service people. He was also quite thick with our CEO who "retired" last June after ownership found out he was pissing off our customers and asked him to leave. There was quite a bit of suspicion that the two of them were enriching themselves at the company's expense and since they were both straight up dicks, everyone was happy to see them go.

Subsequently, we hired a replacement accountant who was brought on board to straighten things out and determine if there was anything illegal going on. She was a really nice person and an avid cigar smoker so needless to say we got along quite well.

Then this morning, the drama happened. Apparently, our new accountant did find out that there was a leak in the company funds but instead of plugging the hole and documenting the embezzlement, she just redirected the flow to herself! The police were waiting for her this morning, and she was walked out the door in cuffs. She has been charged with a Class A Felony (theft of more than $250,000) and is currently sitting in the county jail on $255,000 bond. Yikes!!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

We had problems with our in-house accountant last year and he was unceremoniously walked out the door last July. We actually requested that the local police be on hand for this since he was quite proud of his CCW status and had made some veiled threats against a couple of our customer service people. He was also quite thick with our CEO who "retired" last June after ownership found out he was pissing off our customers and asked him to leave. There was quite a bit of suspicion that the two of them were enriching themselves at the company's expense and since they were both straight up dicks, everyone was happy to see them go.

In the meantime, we hired a replacement accountant who was brought on board to straighten things out and determine if there was anything illegal going on. She was a really nice person and an avid cigar smoker so needless to say we got along quite well.

Then this morning, the drama happened. Apparently, our new accountant did find out that there was a leak in the company funds but instead of plugging the hole and documenting the embezzlement, she just redirected the flow to herself! The police were waiting for her this morning, and she was walked out the door in cuffs. She has been charged with a Class A Felony (theft of more than $250,000) and is currently sitting in the county jail on $255,000 bond. Yikes!!
“Interesting day at the office” is certainly one way to describe that lol. More excitement than I see in a year! Thankfully the company figured it out. I will never understand people so willing to steal mass amounts of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

In the meantime, we hired a replacement accountant who was brought on board to straighten things out and determine if there was anything illegal going on. She was a really nice person and an avid cigar smoker so needless to say we got along quite well.

The previous company I worked for tried to merge with another company. Everything was fine and they were less than 60 days from making it official. Two or three days after the official date was announced, the other company pulled out. They refused to say why specifically and cited "differences in business culture." A week later the CEO and CFO both announced they were "exploring other opportunities" and "refocusing on their families" as they resigned. Within nine months most of the executives were gone or reassigned to lesser roles.

The rumor from folks in the know was that basically everyone at the top was either skimming money or involved in conflicts of interest to the tune of thousands per month.

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0

Subsequently, we hired a replacement accountant who was brought on board to straighten things out and determine if there was anything illegal going on. She was a really nice person and an avid cigar smoker so needless to say we got along quite well.

WTF?!?! Just when you think you've seen it all.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0

It sounds like she walked into the place with a plan right from the start? That's crazy.

Rupe

Rating - 100%
401   0   0
It sounds like she walked into the place with a plan right from the start? That's crazy.
The detective that worked on it said she had a 17 page rap sheet.

Apparently no one thought to run a background check on the person they hired to handle the finances for a $25 million dollar company?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rupe

Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I am assuming that whoever was receiving the leakage before she redirected had something to do with her getting caught
Actually the last thing they want is for the truth to come to light. Those previous thefts are still within the statute of limitations so they could also possibly be brought up on charges.

This fraud was discovered because she was not doing her job correctly. A couple of people complained that things weren’t getting handled correctly and that she didn’t seem to know what she was doing and word got back to the boss. The CEO told me he was building a case to let her go when he stumbled across the embezzlement by accident.

Basically she was using a company issued credit card to pay all of her bills, as well as buy luxury goods, cigars, travel, spa visits, etc. She was the only one looking at the credit card statements so there was no oversight. She made sure our expense account submissions were legitimate but no one was keeping an eye on her credit card purchases.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
The detective that worked on it said she had a 17 page rap sheet.

Apparently no one thought to run a background check on the person they hired to handle the finances for a $25 million dollar company?

Wow, so I'm assuming the head of HR is looking for a job right now.

Rupe

Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Wow, so I'm assuming the head of HR is looking for a job right now.
The company is small enough (30 employees) that she was also in charge of HR, so yes LOL.

Waaay too little oversight to be sure.