What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@icehog3

I've been fortunate, I've had three bottles and not one a dissapointment. But I agree.

I'm noticing more distillers getting away from trying to maintain a consistent flavor profile over the long run. I think It was Bardstown Bourbon Co that flat out told me that if you like it buy a bunch because it won't be the same next time. I guess many of the newer distillers do not have aged stock or access to other whiskeys they can use to blend a consistent product flavor profile.

We need to meet up in Bardstown!

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
@icehog3

I've been fortunate, I've had three bottles and not one a dissapointment. But I agree.

I'm noticing more distillers getting away from trying to maintain a consistent flavor profile over the long run. I think It was Bardstown Bourbon Co that flat out told me that if you like it buy a bunch because it won't be the same next time. I guess many of the newer distillers do not have aged stock or access to other whiskeys they can use to blend a consistent product flavor profile.

We need to meet up in Bardstown!
I agree on the assessment, and on the need for a Bardstown meet!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know two who do. :cool:

Who else would make a trip?
Having just been in April, for a 2nd time, I may be able to weigh in on this.

Bardstown Bourbon Company; great lunch, ok Bourbon, very modern (Napa valley) type experience. Property is new and very cool.

Four roses: meh, the tour was ok, tasting was mediocre.

Jim bean; lots of history here, as a Beam fan, was pretty decent overall and was able to buy a distillery only bottle (or two :) ). Would recommend for sure. We bottled and fingerprinted our own KC9 bottle.

Old Forester in Louisville; best tour of the the trip. Our guide was amazing. Splurge for the VIP tasting and get the single barrel and birthday batch version. Totally worth it.

Buffalo Trace; very very commercial. Book in advance and enjoy shopping in the gift store. That’s it.

Makers mark; tasting was meh, but the overall experience and property is amazing. We enjoyed this. Especially dipping our own bottles.

Kentucky Artisan distillers; (one of Jefferson’s distillers): it was ok, they have some distillery only bottles but overall nothing special.

Willet; lunch here is a MUST!! The bar at Willet is simply amazing. As a food snob (and wine and bourbon) this is something that has yet to disappoint. Ever. Go and have a flight of purple top tastings. Worth it for sure.

This is the best I can offer at the moment since we’re in Mexico and the tequila is not terrible.

CC

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Appreciate all the insight, @brianc636, Beam would be a must for me regardless. Sounds like there's at least 2 or 3 worthwhile choices.

Opened up the Russell's Reserve Binny's pick last week and it's the best one I've had. They sold out same day, but I wanted a backup and hunted one down. Paid $15 over retail, well worth it when I know how good this juice is.